A/c Help? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 09:08   #1 (permalink)
TKO

A/c Help?

I found i am leaking out of my rear evaporator coil, i have double HVAC systems in my 99 windstar, and I was wondering if i could just delete the rear A/C from the whole system. or cut and seal the lines to it.

If i cannot do this, i was also wondering if i should just buy a a/c delete serpintine and get rid of my compressor completely, will this increase performance by getting rid of a pulley from the system? I understand it causes the most downfall in preformace when the clutch is engaged, but if i have no a/c and dont want a mechanic to replace my evaporator, why not?
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 14:55   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: A/c Help?

First, the compressor becomes a very expensive idler pulley when the clutch is not engaged. There is a slight loss in efficiency any time another pulley is added, but pretty much negligible. More importantly, How many compressors are there? If there's only one compressor, cutting the other coil out will blow the charge and require evacuation of the rest of the system.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 15:59   #3 (permalink)
TKO

I do hvac for a living, the reason I would like to get rid of my compressor is because I have a leak, there is no 134a left in the system. One condenser coil means one compressor. Will there be any increase of performance, torque or hp when I remove this compressor

Sent from my iPod touch using AG Free
Old 08-07-2012, 16:01   #4 (permalink)
TKO

And the coil and compressor are held in by compression fittings. There would be no 'cutting' of lines. Just opening the system

Old 08-07-2012, 16:19   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Just unplug the connector from the compressor and leave it at that. There's not enough drag from it being another pulley for the belt.

I would bypass the rear, charge it and just use the front if it was mine. The defrost works very poorly without the A/C.
Old 08-07-2012, 17:45   #6 (permalink)
TKO

How could I bypass the rear a/c system? And the compressor has been unplugged since I found out the freon was dead. When defrost is on the compressor engages correct? And my blend door is manual at the moment due to wonderful plastic parts we all know of. And yes I would change the actuator if the door itself didn't die.

Old 08-07-2012, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You'd have to find the lines going to the rear unit and plug them up.
Old 08-07-2012, 19:00   #8 (permalink)
TKO

How do I plug these lines?

Old 08-07-2012, 19:18   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I don't have one to compare. You'd see what they look like and make some type of plug. The ones without year air have different hoses without a tee.
Old 08-07-2012, 19:44   #10 (permalink)
TKO

The a/c wouldn't work the same unless air would blow over the evaporator coil. It stays liquid. If the liquid travels back to te compressor. The compressor will die. So there is a t somewhere you said? So I'd prob cut the lines there. I know I cant weld or braze the lines. They are too soft for the heat, it would melt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar