Converting E-150 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 15:52   #1 (permalink)

Converting E-150

I have recently purchased a 2000 E-150 Cargo van. It has a V-6 and I am looking to convert it to a V-8. I really am not concerned with the electronics so far as I am seriously considering making this have a relatively simple engine to work on.

A bit of history. I work with appliances for a living. Delivering, servicing, moving etc. So I need something strong with alot of torque. The van I bought was driven by a kid that didn't check the oil, and as such blew a connecting rod thru the block. So that engine is a toasty boat anchor. Anyways I plan to have some weight on this and barring putting a deisel in there, which I don't want, I figure I will use my limited ford knowledge to put a bigger engine in.

So with my limited knowledge, a 351 (cleveland) is the best option? cheap to make lots of power, strong built and already intended to be for trucks. And it should fit with minimal changes. But, I have always been a chevy man, so I am new here. But I am quickly growing tired of chevy's popular problems, and wanted to see the other side of the fence.

Anyways there is the basis of my intention. So any help you can offer is appreciated.
readyakira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 15:59   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Converting E-150

Depending on emissions in your area, I'd look into that first.
Keep in mind also that the E-150 isn't meant to carry insanely heavy loads. I'm sure the V6 version could carry 2000-2200lbs without much worry. Dropping a larger engine in there will reduce cargo carrying capacity. The 4.2L V6 had great torque for its size and is decent on fuel. The E150's suspension will require uprating front shocks/springs etc to better handle the weight of a larger engine.

Additional upgrades to think about:
Transmission - the one mated to the V6 won't run too long connected to a higher torque V8
PCM - you'll need the computer from the engine you plan to install, including wiring harness

If you are really into upgrading to a V8, I'd suggest a newer 5.4L block as they have great low end torque stock at 350lb ft @ 2500rpm. They can also be easily found at local salvage yards; perhaps with a transmission and PCM!. If I had a V6 2000 van and wanted a V8, I'd go newer and put in a 5.4L block. You can add go fast goodies to this blocks as well, as it's a common build engine in the F150 trucks. Heads, cam, custom tune, free flowing exhaust system should easily allow you to bring a stock 5.4L (250-260hp depending on year), up past 300hp.

I'm not sure how easily a 351 with proper transmission would bolt up in place of the V6, but, again, I believe the 5.4L would be the way to go. If the van was 10+ years older, a 351 would be what I would suggest.

If you can find a great deal on a 351, and get a transmission to match, or an appropriate bell housing to utilize the stock transmission and build it up, go that route. For me, I'd go with price and simplicity. Either build will take time and money, but if you shop carefully, I'm sure you'll find the 5.4L hard to resist.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar