E-250 EGR problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 14:45   #1 (permalink)

E-250 EGR problem

I have a 1992 Ford E-250 van with the 4.9L engine. I bought it about a year ago, and it ran pretty well for a while although the check engine light was on. A code reader indicated a problem with the EGR system. Then a few months back it began to start harder and harder and run very rough until the engine warmed up. The problem got worse every week, so I decided to replace a few things. I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and coil (the plugs and wires were replaced soon after I bought the van), but the problem remained. I decided to replace the EGR valve, but when I started the van after putting the new valve there was a moderately loud bang, followed by a throaty roar from the engine near the manifold (I believe I have blown an exhaust manifold gasket, which looks like no fun to replace but I can do it). I let the engine run a bit, and it was idling very rough, basically like it had before, but after a few minutes the heat shielding that surrounds the pipe that goes from the EGR valve to the exhaust began to smoke, it was burning. I shut her down, then tried it again a little later, with the same results. Just in case I might have had the wrong EGR valve, I put the old one back in. Same thing- heat shield starts to smoke. So two questions: 1) given my admittedly brief description, does anybody agree with the diagnosis of a blown gasket; and 2) what would cause the pipe from the EGR valve to the exhaust to get hot enough to burn the heat shielding, and how do I fix it?
Larry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar