Expert advice on a difficult troubleshoot - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 08:43   #1 (permalink)

Expert advice on a difficult troubleshoot

I have a 2006 E-250 that will lose power momentarily while driving as if its not getting enough fuel. The van will lunge and go back to running normal. As if its get starved for fuel and then when it gets it, it runs fine again. 290K miles. My mechanic cleaned the throttle body and the problem returned. He then replace the TB and in the course of doing that he said the new TB burnt up. He then decided I had a problem with my ECM and/or my wiring harness. He fixed several wires that had lost contact because the harness had been rubbing and replaced the ECM. He even went to the point of having Ford look at the diagnostics while the van was running. Their conclusion was the ECM. After getting my van back from the shop with my new TB and ECM, I still have the same problem. I then replaced the fuel pump and filter. Still the same problem. Before the repairs I would get a code 193 for a high input fuel rail sensor. I did tell them about this. Not sure what to do now. As I stated, I'll be driving along fine and then I'll have that momentary loss of power and then it lunges and go back to normal. Other than that, it runs fine except for the hiccups.

I would appreciate anyone input.

Don
dgentry516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 09:40   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Expert advice on a difficult troubleshoot

Have you talked to the shop that put the ECM and TB in?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Bert. I have not talk to him yet. I've had it in there on 2 other occasions about this same problem. My mechanic and I have a long business relationship. This problem has been difficult for him and I wanted some input from someone who might help me solve this problem. This is a work van and on my last job this morning I got a strong order what smelled like rotten eggs. Could there be any correlation?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:26   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

I would be looking at the Frp( fuel rail pressure sensor). If you can get access to a scan tool that has a data stream need to monitor this while the problem occurs. If it shows a pressure drop would then need to compare to actual fuel pressure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:13   #5 (permalink)

My mechanic told me he watched it on the scanner, and even had a person from Ford link in and watch it as well. That is how he came to the conclusion that it needed a new ECM. I don't know. I'm trying to get some alternative ideas before I go back there. Could a faulty catalytic converter cause this problem? I got that strong odor yesterday that I had never gotten before. Or is that just another issue I will need to deal with?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 06:22   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

A partially plugged cat could possibly cause the problem you're having .With regard to the egg smell ,many causes , such as

" Rotten Eggs

The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide. This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. Normally the sulfur is converted to sulfur dioxide, which has no odor. When the converter breaks or the filtering layers have worn down inside the converter, the sulfur is not transformed into the odorless form. Therefore a strong rotten egg smell is produced. Another possible cause for this smell may be that the converter is plugged. Unfortunately you cannot repair a converter but need to have it completely replaced. Two other causes of rotten eggs besides a broken catalytic converter include an engine that is running too hot or a broken fuel pressure regulator. You can easily deal with the fuel pressure regulator by replacing the fuel filter."

And

http://www.examiner.com/article/why-...ke-rotten-eggs
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:29   #7 (permalink)

Replace the fuel filter or the fuel pressure regulator? I replaced the fuel filter and pump just a few days ago. I just experience at my last stop, my engine was idling and it choked down and "coughed" like it was having an air flow problem. like when you block the engine air flow. Within the last 6 months I replaced the MAFS.
Old 10-03-2013, 15:05   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

I'm not sure what ford link is but I would still like to know what the FRP reading is when problem happens. Especially since that's the only code that is setting. Unless that code was a one time thing

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 13:18   #9 (permalink)

Before the TB and ECM were installed, the code would come and go. I never notice the code come up as the problem occurred. Even now, the check engine light is off and it still happens.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:58   #10 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

This is sounding more and more like a faulty connection. Have you looked into this?
P0193 Ford Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar