Ford Freestar transmission cooler - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 14:12   #1 (permalink)

Ford Freestar transmission cooler

Hi,

I have a 2004 Freestar with the 3.9 engine. I pull a small enclosed trailer with it, and occasionally pull a 10' popup camper. The van has 125k miles on it. We just lost the torque convertor last month (thankfully there was a recall on it). So, I have a new torque convertor and fresh tranny fluid.

This summer I'm taking a longer trip with the camper (300 miles each way), and want to add a transmission cooler. I'm wondering how hard of a job this is as a DIY project? Looking at pictures, it looks like you just bypass the lines where they run into the radiator? Anyone have perspective on how difficult it is to add one to a Freestar?

Also, being I have brand new tranny fluid in it, I really don't want to have to replace it. If I do a tranny cooler, do I have to drain the tranny?

Thanks,

Troy
tsherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 14:23   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Ford Freestar transmission cooler

You don't have to drain the transmission. Here's some advice on the cooler install. Ford Freestar and Tran cooler [Archive] - Jayco Owner Forums
Old 06-19-2012, 14:35   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the link. I'm confused though...the Jayco site that discusses installing a transmission cooler gives instructions on how to install one on a Freestar. The instructions say you need to drill holes in your transmission oil pan, install fittings, and run lines to your new cooler. This doesn't seem right to me. I thought an auxillary cooler was installed using rerouted lines by your radiator? I certainly don't want to be drilling holes in my transmission oil pan. Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

THat site isn't the one I intended to post. The original lines can be used as in this post with pictures attached. Towing with a 03 Windstar(trans cooler) - Ford Forums Online - Ford Discussion & Enthusiast Forum
Old 06-29-2012, 08:05   #5 (permalink)

UPDATE - Last night I installed a Hayden Ultra Cool 404 in my 2004 Freestar. I have to say it was much more of a pain than I anticipated. My biggest issue was lack of room for mounting the cooler (in front of the AC condenser). The lack of space was very frustrating. It's hard to your hands in the tight spaces.

One other issue I had, I cut my transmission oil return line from the radiator (metal line) to tie in my cooler. I borrowed a double flare tool from Advance Auto. It was a brand new tool, but it would work. It kept slipping off the line. I thought the line was 3/8", but I'm starting to think maybe it's metric? Anyone have any ideas? Right now it's not flared, so I put 3 hose clamps on it. How dangerous is it to not flare it?

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2012, 21:04   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There isn't a lot of pressure in those lines so I think it'll be alright for now. Check with Autozone for a free loaner tool.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar