Ford Forums banner

Fuel pump issue

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Hello!

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar LX and last week when it was super cold outside, I went to town in it and the fuel pump stopped working coming back home. I drove it there with the gas light on and gauge almost on E. The gas station in this town sells horrible gas for 20-30 cents more a gallon than the bigger town, so I drove it to the bigger town. Anyway, the fuel pump stopped coming on and left me on the side of the road, got it pulled home, fuel pump didn't come on with key turned on, so I ordered a fuel pump. Has 171000 miles.

The weird part. Now that the temp outside is nearly 60, fuel pump comes on and pumps like normal, engine runs perfectly, shut it off several times and it started everytime. Is this fuel pump actually bad or is it something else because it was cold out? I changed the fuel pump last year also. Also, sometimes before all this all happened, it would sometimes die at a stop light or kind of jerk while speeding up (usually between 40-45 when giving gas). I switched around the relay with another identical one also. I really don't want to change the fuel pump if I don't have to as it sucks.

THanks!

#2 ·
What brand of fuel pump did you install last year? Also, running the tank very low puts a strain on the pump. It's lubed and cooled by the fuel. Excess fuel returns to the tank and the fuel gets hotter as that happens. Summer is worse for the heating though but not the wear. Why not see if any codes are present? The light doesn't have to be on for them to be there.

#3 ·
Codes are as follows:

P0232 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High.
P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2)
C1185 ABS Power Relay Output Circuit Failure (this has been on here for years)

I do not know the fuel pump brand.

Inertia switch is currently getting 6v on the green/yellow wire with the key in the ON position.

#4 ·
Fuel pump was indeed the issue. Replaced the entire assembly and I got rid of the van. Ex wife wanted it so I sold it to her, she drove it all the way back home without issues (over 250 miles). I got tired of the thing eating up the front tires and I don't much care for vans anyway.

It's fixed though thanks for replies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.