Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 78.61? Is that too high? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-16-17, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Question Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 78.61? Is that too high?

Hi all, I'm an old guy on a limited income so I can't take my car to the mechanic when there is a problem, so I have to fix things myself. Anyway, we have a 2004 Ford Freestar (3.9/V6) that has a check engine light on showing a P0193 code. It also had a problem with filling the tank with gas (it would either spit the gas back out the filler hole or the pump kept shutting off). I figured that if I fixed the 'filling the tank problem' it would probably fix the P0193 code. So my son and I took the evap canister off and removed the purge valve solenoid. A bunch of dirt came out of the purge valve electrical connector but other than that we couldn't find any obvious trouble (we were able to blow air in both directions through the purge valve and the dust box). Anyway, we hooked everything back up and put the evap canister back on the van. We took the van for gas and we were able to fill the tank without any problems. So I cleared the P0193 code and we drove the van a few times over the course of a week without the check engine light coming back on. Well, yesterday the check engine light came back on and upon reading the code it is showing the P0193 code again. I should mention at this point that the van is running great, even with the check engine light on. It idles fine, drives fine - no hesitation or sputtering, gas mileage OK, even though the check engine light has been on for a while.

The scanner tells me that the P0193 is a 'Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High Input" - Not positive, but am I correct in assuming that P0193 is reflecting a fuel pressure that is too high? In any event, since I am just learning to use the scanner (Actron CP9580A Auto Scanner Plus), I know that I can use all the help and advice I can get. One thing that I wondering is why the scanner shows "MIL STATUS OFF" when the check engine light is on in the car?? Also, I couldn't find any 'fuel temperature reading' so I don't know if that it important or not. In looking up the price of a new Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (FRPS), they are between $75 and $100 bucks--way too expensive to buy right now. In doing some research on the internet there is a lot of advice on testing the FRPS. I would love to test the FRPS but I am not sure how to do that so I could really use a step-by-step on testing FRPS, if anyone can help with that. I am also going to replace the fuel filter since I know it hasn't been replaced in at least a year. Anyway, I was able to get some frame data from the scanner of the Freestar which I will list here (below) for review.

MIL STATUS OFF
TROUB CODE P0193
ABSLT TPS(%) 20.8
ENG SPEED(RPM) 948
CALC LOAD(%) 55.7
MAF(LB/M) 1.41
COOLANT(°F) 208
IAT(F) 115
IGN ADV(°) 19.5
ST FTRM1(%) 3.1
ST FTRM2(%) 3.1
LT FTRM1(%) 0.8
LT FTRM2(%) -0.8
VEH SPEED(MPH) 0 MPH
REP FRP(PSI) 78.61
FUEL SYS 1 OPEN
FUEL SYS2 N/A
02S11(V) 0.845
ST FTRM11(%) 3.1
02S12(V) 0.925
02S21(V) 0.870
ST FTRM21(%) 3.1
02S22(V) 0.905

Hopefully, after reviewing this frame data from the scanner, someone could offer some advice. I can tell you in advance that I do appreciate any and all help offered. Also, if anybody has any documentation or can offer any website or online videos that explain how to use the Actron CP9580A scanner, and what the data provide means, that would certainly help. Again, than you all in advance for your assistance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-16-17, 05:56 PM
Dazed and Confused

Re: Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 78.61? Is that too high?

I'd be guessing that your sensor went south for the winter and didn't come back. I'm not even sure the fuel pump can produce 78 psi, the sensor probably failed high. Found an article on it, with a few other problems:

2004 Ford Freestar: 3.9L V6.

And as the article states, you can get a test kit for fuel pressure from most of your major auto stores if you want to test it first to confirm the sensor is reading off.

Ever notice that there's so many high performance parts available for GM products?

Did you ever think that maybe they NEED them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar