gas mileage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 19:44   #1 (permalink)
TKO

gas mileage

i usually run about 20 miles a gallon, and the other day i put about 3 gallons in to see my mileage, its january and im in ohio. I heard things about the winter mix and stuff. but i roughly got 11 miles a gallon. I drove quite normal for how i usually drive, no racing, no drag, no highway, not alot of traffic, i thought htis was the best for fuel economy. does anyone have any idea why this happend? or what i can try? I just fixed my engine code the other day. and this just happend a week ago.
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 20:47   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: gas mileage

What was the engine code?

Winter fuel has more detergents, not more ethanol like some believe. Ethanol rarely goes above 5% total volume even in winter. Petrol companies know most vehicles on the road yet cannot handle more than 5% ethanol without having drive-ability problems in the long term. I worked for a large firm for 7 years and most fuel deliveries that went out, were in the 3-4.5% ethanol range. Cheaper gas generally means higher detergents, and not the kind that is necessarily good for the vehicle.

Don't forget to factor in winter idle, warm up times. Drive thru's can account greatly for fuel use, especially vehicles that have a V engine and are of moderate displacement.

If you 'fixed' this engine code, don't forget to disconnect the battery for about half an hour so the PCM can relearn after the engine light has been reset, or has gone out. A lot of times, an engine code will remain stored for up to 50 restarts. It shouldn't affect mileage, but not resetting the vehicle by disconnecting the battery (negative terminal) can cause some misc problems for a short while, such as low mileage.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 22:22   #3 (permalink)
TKO

Re: gas mileage

it was a bank one lean code if im not mistaken. i have pictures on my account of me fixing this. there are plastic screws holding the intake to the lower intake manifold and my screws were blown apart and the seals from the intake to lower manifold were flat as well. letting more air in. the error code is still off. it is fixed. and just that one time i got gas was really bad. it seems decent now
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar