Help Please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 10:06   #1 (permalink)

Help Please

1996 FORD WINDSTAR 3.8 -PROBLEMS HAVING NOW-

VAN OVERHEATING so i change my thermostat thought i was go to go
still overheating than i notice my fans are not coming on but the a/c is on they will. So i change my coolant temperature sensor yesterday.
NOW MY TEMPERATURE GAUGE IS ALWAY COLD even when driving.

still dont know if fan will come on if i overheat again (i just turned the a/c on to get fans)Kids want to go to zoo so please help me before this van make me go crazy or the kids will
missjenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 06:20   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Help Please

If you didn't get the coolant flushed when your T-stat was replaced, chances are there's an air pocket in the system that's not allowing the coolant to flow properly. Either that, or there's something in the system blocking flow, either through the rad, heater core, or a smaller cooling hose. It's best to get the system flushed.

Electric cooling fans are a mixed bag. I know on my Taurus the one fan will come on to keep engine temps in check, and the other fan comes on only when the A/C is turned on for better engine cooling in traffic, or when stopped and idling.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:50   #3 (permalink)

Check coolant level when engine is cool and add if needed. Let it run and turn heat setting on high. This will open thermostat and allow coolant to flow through entire system. I've done water pump and had no problms with air pockets.

Rob
RobbyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 15:20   #4 (permalink)

Exclamation Re: Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyEMT View Post
Check coolant level when engine is cool and add if needed. Let it run and turn heat setting on high. This will open thermostat and allow coolant to flow through entire system. I've done water pump and had no problms with air pockets.

Rob

THANKS GUYS................gauge wasnt working cause the guy change the wrong one also didnt help that canadian tire gave me the wrong one lol got one from dealer but im still overheating so hears my questions!

1. if its not the wiring to the fan thats making the fan not come on (AC fan works)
y im i still overheating in traffic?(not on highway)

2. van stalls if i idle to long a light or stop and go traffic.

3. engine light code was for IMRC stuck open (overheating just started and stalling since i started driving this van)

This is whats been change so far on the van.....head gaskets top/bottom, new valves, t-stat, temperature sensor(fan),pcv,power steeling,caddy,spark plugs @wires ......
Old 07-26-2009, 17:32   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Verify that the t-stat is set for stock specs. If it is, you could get a lower temp stat. However, going too low will lead to longer cabin warm up times during the winter months.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 20:06   #6 (permalink)

Tongue Re: Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Verify that the t-stat is set for stock specs. If it is, you could get a lower temp stat. However, going too low will lead to longer cabin warm up times during the winter months.
sorry dont really know what is stock specs........the van started to overheat one day just thought it was t-stat so i got one that was 190 and i notice after that it was still overheating so i will try to bleed it as in this post.

do u know anything about the idle problems im having?
p.s thank u
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar