How can I empty my gas tank? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 16:57   #1 (permalink)

How can I empty my gas tank?

I have a 1998 Windstar that the tranny has gone in about a month ago. Since the tranny has gone, I have started to part it out and there is no way it will run now. Anyway, my son reminded me the other day that there is almost a full tank of gas in it, with gas prices the way they are, I would like to transfer it to another vehicle. I don't want to poke a hole in the tank as someone suggested to me. I am wondering if I can disconnect the fuel line and run it into a gas can and jump the fuel pump relay to make it pump the fuel out. Anyone have any ideas?
va3eam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 18:44   #2 (permalink)
Subaru/Ford guy.

Garage
Re: How can I empty my gas tank?

You could do it that way, disconnect the gas line somewhere up front and attach a rubber hose to it and catch it in a bucket when you just turn the key to on, just if you care about the cars fuel pump, don't empty it all the way.

How-to directory.

Ford focus DTC codes.

Ford= First on race day.
djzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 21:07   #3 (permalink)

I always just disconnect the fuel line coming out of the fuel filter, to keep it somewhat clean, and just keep cycling the key until you arent getting any more or your gauge says almost empty. Do not use the last 2 gallons. Its nasty and you will be soaked in gas again this weekedn replacing a fuel pump on another car. Please dont be jumping any relays or anything of that sort, I cant tell you how important it is to excersize all safety measures you can when it comes to a full tank of draining gas, and arcing wires and whatnot is not what you should be doing. The way I told you + a fire extinguisher, is the best way to do it.
Old 04-25-2011, 14:41   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Can you not do it the old fashioned way of sticking a tube into tank and siphoning it out ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar