How to replace inner tie rod ends? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2007, 18:23   #1 (permalink)

confused How to replace inner tie rod ends?

Hi all -- first post.

This past weekend I tried to replace the inner tie rod ends on a 2000 windstar ( along with outers upon recommendation by the dealer ) -- I borrowed an inner tie-rod end tool from autozone which looked as if it would do the trick--- a long hollow tool with a socket on the end --- it fits the after-market replacement tie rod end -but when I got the thing apart, it would not fit on the FORD oem part. It appears that the OEM nut has a bulged/rounded section before the hex nut portion --- and thus the tool would not slide over the nut.

I'm curious if anyone has a solution to this? How do professionals get to this part?

Any help appreciated....stumped...
bnscott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 12:28   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: How to replace inner tie rod ends?

I have never replaced inner tie rods on a Windstar. We usually put an entire rack in them. Maybe remove the boot and try an air hammer? Maybe someone else here has more info for ya.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:46   #3 (permalink)

Arrow Re: How to replace inner tie rod ends?

Well, the dealer said that they needed to be replaced -- -and wanted more than $400 to replace them ---

I did some more searching around on the 'net and found that the Ampro tool #T75823 ($34) should do the trick --- I have ordered that and should be able to try again this weekend.

I don't know if they need to be replaced or not, I was just going on the recommendation by the Omniscient Ford Dealer.

I do know that the alignment is way out of whack --- the camber is really off -- I'm hoping that a shop can resurrect it when I get it to them.

Thanks!
bnscott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 20:02   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: How to replace inner tie rod ends?

To know if the inner tie rod ends are bad follow this procedure.,.........

Jack up one side of the van so the wheel is off the ground and make sure it is safe. Grab the tire from the outer positions of 9:00 and 3:00 and wiggle with force. If you feel play or looseness, then have an assistant wiggle while you look for the problem. Grab the tie rod end while he wiggles and feel for play.

Do the same for the other side. What's loose?
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar