Ignition problems after 10 minutes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 08:05   #1 (permalink)

Ignition problems after 10 minutes

Hi,

I have a problem which I have not being able to nail down, hope you can help me.

I have a Windstar 96 3.8 L.

Few days ago I start noticing a failure on the engine behavior like one of the spark was not working properly, So I though it was either the spark or the cable, so i change them but problem persist. So that lead me to believe it was the fuel injector so decide to take it the next day to a workshop, BUT the night before while driving it felt like not only one spark was not doing ignition it felt like 2 or three were not doing it right, my vehicule could not move any more and I could here explosions on the exhaust system.

The mechanic picked up my car and took it to his workshop. According to him he had to change 3 sparks and also the cables. I was actually there when they change the last one. When they start the engine it was running very stable, so I took it for a little ride 3 block and called to be GOOD. So I took it home 10 block away from home.

But later that day I was taking my family to a party and suddenly start felling the same problem again, first it felt like 1 spark, I told my wife and decide to turn back home; while returning to our home it felt like it was running out of working sparks and barely make it to workshop.

At this point I don't know what it could be wrong looks like something is heating up and causing the engine to fail... my mechanic told me it could be the "Coil" and/or the Gasoline Pump. The mechanic plug in a manometer to gasoline pump and told me the read out 35 something.

I will highly appreciate your comments.
hzm_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 13:08   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Ignition problems after 10 minutes

Coil pack ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 19:07   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Did he change the front 3? If there were bad plugs and wires, they probably all need changing. It also could be a coil problem but why did he just do 3 plugs and wires?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:50   #4 (permalink)

He changed two at the back and 1 on the front,

He was trying to narrow the problem by guessing I guess. I'm definitively not happy with his performance and would change from mechanic.

At this point looks like my problem is electronically related as also some friends have indicated me that.

I also want to mention I have notice plug cables are really hot and according with some friends they should not be like that. They indicate the Coil could be overpassing voltage leading to a heat up on cables.
hzm_mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:52   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

A lot of current runs through the wires. I wouldn't be concerned about the heat. Find a shop that knows what they're doing. You can also get any codes read for free at an Autozone. The light doesn't have to be on for codes to be present.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar