IMRC Problem. 2001 Windstar stutters at stops until warm, etc. PICS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53   #1 (permalink)

IMRC Problem. 2001 Windstar stutters at stops until warm, etc. PICS

Hello!

So I have a few questions about my 2001 Windstar SE Sport. I recently got it so I'm trying to figure out some quirks and get her running right.

First issue was the vents only coming out the defrost but got that figured out. I took the outer and inner cowl off and found the little hose coming from the fire wall had come unplugged. Vents work fine now.

Now I need to get the IMRC straightened out. When it is warming up and I'm at a stop in traffic it will start to stutter and the tach goes up and down and even sometimes stalls. It also will stay at a high enough rpm to drive me around for a little bit even with no foot on the gas. Again, until it warms up, then it's fine. Also, after a warm start (starts cold fine) it will rev up to almost 2500 rmps for like 10 secs before dying back down real faat. The Idle Control Valve is new and clean as a whistle so upon further inquiry found that I should check the IMRC linkages and see if they were working right. When I took a look I found that both were disconnected from the little butterfly parts which I assume is causing then to stick or not be where they should. I am missing 3 of the white clips (grommets) that hold the arms in place so will order those. The back arm was completely off. I got the front arm back on but it comes back out without the clip. This is a good place to start for my problems I guess? How do I get the arms installed without taking half the engine out?

Also I was going to replace the fuel filter and when I took a look I noticed someone had used a zip tie on there and hose clamps on each end. I didn't mess with it cause I wasn't sure I would get the new one on right. Any ideas? See pic.

And one more thing (this van is going to be more work than I thought) when I fill it up from empty it starts to spill out the fill valve after like 5 gallons, but when it already had gas it in it last week it filled up to half tank (12 or so gallons) without spilling out. Ideas?

Wow, long post, my apologies....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMRC All.jpg (69.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMRC Back Butterfly - Up Position.jpg (61.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMRC Front in Down Position.jpg (58.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMRC Back Linkage.jpg (64.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Filter w Zip Tie.jpg (51.3 KB, 16 views)
FoamieOmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 10:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: IMRC Problem. 2001 Windstar stutters at stops until warm, etc. PICS

Take that imrc off and clean it, change all grommets to new one.. You can get a pack of 5 from rockauto etc... There are 3 bolts - 2 up and 1 down take it off and change all of them... Looks like there´s a oil leak somewhere..
Start from imrc and theres a lot of other updates what should be done... if you want you car to run perfectly....
jartsihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:57   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, got the grommets ready to pick up at O'Reillys on the way home. Will take it off tomorrow and get them on there. as for the oil I just got the van and of course now noticing the problems. It had some work done before I bought and no oil is dripping on the ground. I'm hoping it's just residual but I bet it isn't. I found a diagram that shows the actuator but I only see 2 bolts. Where is the third? Might be a different year actuator than mine. The diagram is attached. Any idea about the fuel filter? Looks rigged up and I'm afraid to mess something up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008-12-30_215649_untitled.jpg (51.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-28-2012, 05:47   #4 (permalink)

third one is back and down ... litlle tricky place ...just have to look with time....
Old 04-29-2012, 20:48   #5 (permalink)

Question Re: IMRC Problem. 2001 Windstar stutters at stops until warm, etc. PICS

Can you get better picture from fuel filter lines ???

That place should be replaced and be VERY carefully to do those line fittings....

I see that those clamps are very rusty...

I think that nobody wants to big fuel leak under the car...in traffic...
But there should be fuel inertia switch if something goes wrong...

Here is link what kind of clips there should be originally in place

FUEL FILTERS for FORD WINDSTAR - OE Replacement Auto Parts Advanced Search
Old 04-30-2012, 06:13   #6 (permalink)

I will try to get better picture of the fuel filter. The new one I bought came with 4 of those plastic clips seen in the pic you attached. Are tose what was missing so someone use a zip tie to replace one of them?

UPDATE on IMRC:

I have pics of this but need to upload them still. I got the IMRC out and replaced all of the white grommets and got the arms in there properly. When I turn the key you can hear it moving back to put the stops on the stop screws that are there, which I assume is the closed or idle position. I'm sure it moved because when I put it back on they were not in that position and after I turned the key they moved there. I am still having some idle and rough start problems. When I say rough start I mean that it shutters when I first go from a stop then once it gets more gas it will even out ans also that it revs pretty high after warm, but not as bad since I fixed the IMRC (in fact you can hear and rumbling air sound from the muffler(?) when it drops from the rev back to normal idle, which sometimes is pretty quick, like something is sticking). When it's cold it will idle high and basically drive me down the road. When it's idling high (brake keeping me stopped) it goes from a stop without the shuttering, because it's reved up I guess. The rough idling is the same when the engine is cold (going from 500 to 1000 rpms, up and down and nearly stalling. Have to put it in nuetral for it to even back out so it only happens when in drive.

You had put this on a seperate thread:

"That sounds like a vacuum leak... Check all those vacuum hoses ... There´s a vacuum reservoir - its one point to leak... there should be a little backpressure valve in t-line connector --change it ...

Check those hoses from diagram, and then you see that those are working correctly... "

I am going to take the cowls back off and check all the hoses and the check valve. Is there a way to figure out if the check valave is clogged? I will take it out and inspect it and look for more loose hoses. Weird thing is I don't really remember it running as badly when before I fixed the vent issue and pluuged the hose back in that was causing the only in defrost thing. Maybe it did, I just hadn't driven it enough but I realy can't remember it being this bad. I am hoping it is a vacuum thing that doesn't require what someone else said which is the isolator bolts inside the manifold. It seems like taking the plastic manifold covers off is challenging but I'm willing to take a look if I can't find a vacuume leak. They also said the butterflys that are controlled by the IMRC are internal. Would that require me to get inside there to check?
Old 04-30-2012, 16:26   #7 (permalink)

Well, the van went down todat on the way home from work. Was running ok (or about normal for how it's been running) but it started sputtering really bad and hasn't quit. Barely made it home. Runs really, really rough. Like there's a massive vacuum leak or something. The spark plugs I thought wew newer but maybe they are bad??? I really need to find a cheap answer because I have very little money to get this fixed and now I have no wy to pick up my son for stuff and have to ride my bike to work again, which is not fun. I checked all of the vacuum lines I know about under the cowl and all seem to be going to the right places and are hooked up. I could hear a slight j=hiss on the passenger side near the back but could not find the sourse. It is really running rough. Could a small vacuum leak really cause that much disaster? Not sure what to do. I looked for the DPFE but not sure I saw it there, or anything that would hook into. Where it should be (I think) are t places for bolts, see pic. HELP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo1160.jpg (74.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-30-2012, 23:35   #8 (permalink)

If there is some hiss noise coming...that is very important to get it fixed...

Like i said that vacuum reservoir tank area is important to check ... It can also be leaking reservoir etc...

I replaced all hoses all connectors to my van and backpressure valve...

Check Idle air control valve.. Correct operation its in the top of intake manifold...

Check also PCV valve...

Importance of those vac hoses to control EGR-EVAP is relative to vac leak...

Also if that imrc is running ok by now... What kind of spark plugs / wires did you
used ?? What about ignition coil ???

DPFE sensor has two hose connections and it is in front of engine ..
Below of EGR valve - there is in egr pipe two places to the hoses follow those hose and then you can see dpfe sensor
is it black plastic or metallic??

That place is also empty in my van -- I founded very good place to attach negative battery cable to it... =)

What is condition of battery wiring -- Clean every connection... from alt to battery and
ground connections... etc...

Do you have OBD 2 scanner ...
Example SCAN XL with ford extensios and elm327 adapter... ???
Old 05-06-2012, 00:17   #9 (permalink)

Sorry it's taken so long to respond.

As for the fuel filter I don't have any updated pictures. The fuel filter I bought did come with those little white clips. 4 of them actually. So one of those goes where the zip tie in the picture is? Just cut the zip tie and use a clip I have in its place? What about the other side? Is the side with the zip tie supposed to have a blue button on and the zip tie is replacing that or is it replacing the white clip? I attached the old pics again. Never changed a fuel filter so I am wanting to be sure I get it right. And the van has been sitting for a few days without being run. Do I still need to release the fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse?

Looks like I'm probably going to have to replace the isolator bolts in the upper intake. Can't seem to find any leaks in the vacuum hose. Have a few questions about that though. I've heard that if I take the lower half of the plastic intake off I have to change the gaskets on the port holes. I'm having a rough time and can only afford to try one fix at a time. I have the bolts and rubber round grommets on order but wondered if I just changed the bolts without removing the bottom half would that maybe make any diference. Getting the "lean" code (po171). I know I'd have to take the lower half off to replace the grommets but afraid if the gaskets are ok I would have no way to replace them just yet, since I removed the lower half.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Filter w Hose Clamp.jpg (39.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Filter w Zip Tie.jpg (51.9 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar