Intermittant ABS light - Do I Have ABS? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2008, 20:50   #1 (permalink)

Intermittant ABS light - Do I Have ABS?

Hi there:

Took our 99 windstar into the dealership a couple of weeks ago as the ABS and Energ Brake light were coming on, and we needed the cruise control deactivation replaced. We did this and this week the ABS light came on again. It came on within a few blocks of me driving off, and turned off and didn't come back on again after I had turned the van off. Took the van back to the dealership and they say the ABS module is shot - that I have no ABS when the light is on. My question is...when the light is OFF do I HAVE ABS?

This, my friends, is the $1058.00 question.

We live in Canada and winter is fast approaching. Other than waiting for the ice to form is there any way that we can "test drive" the ABS?

Is this all related to the "Fire Issue"?

Thanks for your help!
Momstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2008, 20:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: Intermittant ABS light - Do I Have ABS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momstheword View Post
Hi there:

Took our 99 windstar into the dealership a couple of weeks ago as the ABS and Energ Brake light were coming on, and we needed the cruise control deactivation replaced. We did this and this week the ABS light came on again. It came on within a few blocks of me driving off, and turned off and didn't come back on again after I had turned the van off. Took the van back to the dealership and they say the ABS module is shot - that I have no ABS when the light is on. My question is...when the light is OFF do I HAVE ABS?

This, my friends, is the $1058.00 question.

We live in Canada and winter is fast approaching. Other than waiting for the ice to form is there any way that we can "test drive" the ABS?

Is this all related to the "Fire Issue"?

Thanks for your help!

Ok...if I understand your question...you are asking if the ABS Light Is off..do you have ABS Brakes???

If the ABS module is "Shot" your Light will be On conituesly...But this may, or may not mean your ABS Brakes are Bad...It could be just a bad Connection on the module sensor itself...irregardless you will have Brakes....Just not the ABS system.

I would strongly suggest that you take it to the professional Brake service, and have them diagnose the problem...they can test the Sensor,,,and Module.

Is this all related to the "Fire Issue"?...Where in the world did this come into play...Did you have some type of Fire??? Please explain???
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 20:31   #3 (permalink)

We did have it "diagnosed" at the dealership who said that the ABS module was shot - that it would not work when the light was on. My light just comes on intermittantly - so when it is off does that mean my ABS will function? Can I be sure?

The "fire issue" is a problem the NHTSA is investigating right now. See this website for further info...Ford Windstar Recall For ABS Brake Light Issue - and after doing a lot or research over the past couple of days I'm sure it is.
Momstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 19:45   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
We did have it "diagnosed" at the dealership who said that the ABS module was shot - that it would not work when the light was on. My light just comes on intermittantly - so when it is off does that mean my ABS will function? Can I be sure?

The "fire issue" is a problem the NHTSA is investigating right now. See this website for further info...Ford Windstar Recall For ABS Brake Light Issue - and after doing a lot or research over the past couple of days I'm sure it is.
wow thank you for this information...I was not aware of this at all.
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 20:37   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
You could always try getting in some wet grass or gravel, go about 5mph or so and stomp the brakes to see if they work. That would be the easiest way.

I had a 2001 Monte Carlo & the ABS light would come on intermittently from time to time. Took it to GM and it was the ABS sensors at the wheels needed cleaning. Not sure about a Ford though.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:02   #6 (permalink)

mad Re: Intermittant ABS light - Do I Have ABS?

Quote:

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar and have had some similar issues. I am not a mechanic and not an expert. The Ford Windstar Recall for ABS site you mention above is a great resource.

My cruise control started working intermittently about a year ago (Fall 2008). Sometimes it worked fine, sometimes I had to push the button a number of times before it would engage, and sometimes it refused to engage no matter how many times I pushed the button. And when it did engage, sometimes later it would dis-engage abruptly and for no reason.

Also, the ABS and Brake lights would come on intermittently. Once they came on, they would remain on until the car was turned off.

I took the car to the local Ford dealership. They said the ABS system "Electronic Control Module" (ECM) was bad and needed to be replaced. They said the cruise control tested out fine. They quoted me about $750 to replace the ECM module. And charged me about $100 for the diagnostic fee. Ford said they say lots of error codes related to the ABS system, and when they saw that many error codes, it meant the ECM itself was bad.

We decided to live with the symptoms. I reported my problem to the NHTSA as recommended on the recall web site mentioned above.

I tested the ABS system during some wet or slippery days last winter. Somewhat to my surprise, the ABS appeared to consistently work fine in my car, both when the ABS light was off and even when it was on!

About a month ago (August 2009), my local mechanic said the Cruise Control actuator switch was leaking brake fluid and replaced it. He also replaced the wiring harness that goes to that switch. Voila! Suddenly my cruise control started to work consistently again.

My ABS and brake lights still come on intermittently while I am driving. Once on, they remain on until the car is turned off. Based on my tests last winter, I believe (hope!) the ABS system is working, whether the ABS and brake light are on or off.

I hope that Ford is forced by the NHTSA to address these problems with the switch, wiring harness and ECM module with a recall. In the meantime, I encourage anyone who has experienced these problems to report them to the NHTSA (including your VIN number) as discussed in the "recall" page above. It is easy and just takes a few minutes of your time.

I would recommend that if possible you test the ABS on a slippery day, both when the light is off and when it is on. I am guessing that it will probably work when the light is off, and might even work when the light is on. That's just a guess based on observing how my 2002 has behaved.

Maybe some 1999 Windstar owners also seeing the ABS light come on intermittently could let us know their experiences? Anyone, anyone? Buehler?
Windstar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar