K&N Filter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 14:34   #1 (permalink)

K&N Filter

Hy everyone. My name is dimas and I own a 2005 freestar, I recently ask this to K&N filters: I own a 2005 freestar with a 3.9 lts engine. My question is: can I install a clamp-on air filter in a way to eliminate the original airbox, so the engine gets more air?, can be install in the original intake duct ? , any size idea or suggestion ?
And this was the answer: Thank you for your interest in K&N products. We do not recommend you remove the stock air box and install a universal air filter due to the fact that it will not pass smog and may cause other problems with motor and the readings the computer receives. We do have a replacement air filter, 33-2321, which will fit in the stock box and give you added air flow. With that filter, you should see anywhere between 1-4 horsepower more to the wheels.

Does anyone have another point of view? I'm trying to get more air into the engine, and I think the airbox design doesn't help.
Thanks
dimasp28
dimasp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 14:38   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: K&N Filter

They are the experts / manufacturers , take their advice .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 15:49   #3 (permalink)

OK !!! THANKS
dimasp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 17:34   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The air box as it is, brings cooler air from in front of the radiator, and that air can expand more to give better power. The K&N is okay but if it gets a little too much oil, it will contaminate the MAF sensor and cause running problems. I'd stick with stock and make sure the air filter is clean.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:13   #5 (permalink)

you can " FORCE " all the air you want into your engine. Put a fan down the intake tube
or put a blower on it but it won't do you much good if you can't get that air out. A proper non restrictive exhaust system should be matched to your intake. They work in tandum for best results.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:31   #6 (permalink)
canuck

The other thing to proper air flow (intake and exhaust), the MAF will adjust the A/F ratio to match and may just adjust the HP back down to if you were running a standard intake. The only way to get around this is to add a tune, and for the 3.9L I imagine it would need to be custom.

The photo below shows the CAI (cold air intake) on my Durango. I moved the cruise control module to accommodate the filter and new intake tube. The rubber guard beside the radiator protect water from hitting the filter directly through the grille. I had a K&N installed originally but found the paper filter to be more effective and easier to maintain. I can clean this filter out with compressed air, where the K&N needed to be washed, dried, and re-oiled.

I have various modifications to my Durnago, including a custom SCT tune which matches the mods together to gain the best HP/TQ possible without worrying about engine knock while using a specified octane. Just FYI - The Dodge 5.9L (360) V8 does not have knock sensors.

A lot of folks think they can just 'throw on', or 'bolt on' mods to increase performance. After 50 miles or so the engine computer will relearn the change and you won't see any performance gains. If you're buying an air intake for mileage - don't. It'll take you 20+ years to see the potential fuel savings.

You can contact the guys here: Tom Morana Racing Engines and see if there is anything for the 3.9L that can be done. If there is, a custom air intake, exhaust, and a tune will easily set you back $1200+. If the parts can be tuned properly you might get an increase of 18-20hp, at the HP peak of the engine (5000rpm or so). General driving might not see much performance benefit unless you're on the gas all the time.

If you're willing to get the intake, exhaust and a tune, your better off getting a freer flowing throttle body (can pull one off of a mustang or some other vehicle, knowingly) to aid in the low end and mid range where the power is mostly needed on daily driven vehicles.

As an example, I went with a 52mm Throttle Body on my Durango. Stock is 50mm, and it was one of the best bang for the buck modifications I've made. Depending on the tune, you can get 5-20+ useable hp from that alone.

Some folks have even made their own cold air intake take. You need to be good with a wrench and know your plastics. 4" poly pipe can be used within reason for an intake. Just don't cheapen out on parts as lesser plastics can melt with the heat the engine gives off. The other issue is the check engine might may stay on without a tune, because the engine may assume the intake is missing from getting too much air volume, or if you try to make it fit on a tube that is of different diameter, like the guy in the video below.

Stock throttle body on the right (50mm), 52mm on the left.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aesMo705kGg"]
[/URL]
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar