Need advice about a reddish leak from my 1998 Ford Windstar - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 09:08   #1 (permalink)

Need advice about a reddish leak from my 1998 Ford Windstar

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1">My 1998 Ford Windstar is leaking reddish fluid. The puddle on the ground is located between the front passenger tire and the center of the engine, and is quite substantial. The consistency is oily. When I shine a flashlight on the underside of the car, I can see a lot of liquid above where the puddle is but no actual drops. I'm not all that car savvy so telling you parts of the car would be difficult for me.

I have read online that fluid this color could be tranny fluid, power stearing fluid or in some cases, coolant. I don't think it's coolant - I thought the coolant I put in last was more yellow but I could be wrong about that.

The car is in the garage, facing out, but I'm afraid to drive it until I have someone who knows more than me, give me an idea of what this might be. I do have AAA and can have the car towed somewhere for repair if I am in danger of causing some huge problem by driving it.

Thank you for any and all help. I sincerely appreciate it.
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 11:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: Need advice about a reddish leak from my 1998 Ford Windstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1">My 1998 Ford Windstar is leaking reddish fluid. The puddle on the ground is located between the front passenger tire and the center of the engine, and is quite substantial. The consistency is oily. When I shine a flashlight on the underside of the car, I can see a lot of liquid above where the puddle is but no actual drops. I'm not all that car savvy so telling you parts of the car would be difficult for me.

I have read online that fluid this color could be tranny fluid, power stearing fluid or in some cases, coolant. I don't think it's coolant - I thought the coolant I put in last was more yellow but I could be wrong about that.

The car is in the garage, facing out, but I'm afraid to drive it until I have someone who knows more than me, give me an idea of what this might be. I do have AAA and can have the car towed somewhere for repair if I am in danger of causing some huge problem by driving it.

Thank you for any and all help. I sincerely appreciate it.

Hello and good day:

I would lean more to your Power Steering, and Steering Pump.

Have you looked under the Hood to see if there is any sign of this Reddish color on or around the engine??

You may need to Jack up the Van to take a closer look. If it is Tranny fluid it may just be a simple replace of the Transmission Pan Gasket.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:06   #3 (permalink)

I did check under the hood and it is clean. I used a flashlight and can't see any sign of this from under the hood. I finally checked the fluids with the car running, like I should have in the first place, and the transmission fluid shows on the stick but well out of the "safe" range. I tried getting closer underneath to see and there is something that looks like it could be a pan (flattish with bolts ) and it's sides are covered with this fluid. There is no dripping that I can see with the car running.

I'd be really happy if this was just a gasket. Really happy.
Old 06-28-2009, 16:58   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post
I did check under the hood and it is clean. I used a flashlight and can't see any sign of this from under the hood. I finally checked the fluids with the car running, like I should have in the first place, and the transmission fluid shows on the stick but well out of the "safe" range. I tried getting closer underneath to see and there is something that looks like it could be a pan (flattish with bolts ) and it's sides are covered with this fluid. There is no dripping that I can see with the car running.

I'd be really happy if this was just a gasket. Really happy.
HHHHmmmmm

If you Transmission Fluid is that low I would bet a $1.00 Bill that it is you Pan Gasket.

I would recommend that you that this to a trusted Auto Shop, or a Transmission shop for a complete Diagnoses.
Old 06-28-2009, 17:17   #5 (permalink)

Thanks so much for your time on this. I sincerely appreciate it!
Old 06-28-2009, 19:52   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Did you also check the power steering fluid level?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar