Need Help 99 Windstar Won't Start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 14:54   #1 (permalink)

Need Help 99 Windstar Won't Start

Please help me out. I have 99 ford windstar. I have not had it long and it has been a problem from the start. First the tranny was slipping so i took it in for an est.. $2000.00 later it still was not fixed and before I could take it back in for them to fix it. Now it will not start.

This is my first problem I need fixed...all the lights and dash lights ,instrument cluster etc..worked but when you turn the key nothing would happen. The only thing you could hear is one of the relay click once. ( I am guessing that that would be the starter relay??? I don't know . I checked all the fuses that i could test and they were fine. I don't know how to check the big black relays. I even bought a new battery $60.00. I had a friend turn the key and I moved the wires around at the battery and all the way to the starter. then with the key in the on postion i jumped the solinoid and the van would crank but not stay running.

Does anyone have some insite on what is the problem. I thought maybe the netrual safety switch so I tried starting it in all transmission linkage spots P RND321.
jweidner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 19:05   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Need Help 99 Windstar Won't Start

When you jumped across the solenoid, did you have the ign. key turned to the run position? If not, it won't start, but it will still crank. Definately make sure all your connection are clean and tight. From battery to solenoid to starter.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 20:06   #3 (permalink)

yes the key was in the run postion. and the battery is brand new and the connections are clean and tight. What else do you think it might be?
Old 08-21-2007, 18:48   #4 (permalink)

Some one told me it could be a starter soleniod?? If so is it located on the starter or on the fire wall or fender???
Old 08-21-2007, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweidner
Some one told me it could be a starter soleniod?? If so is it located on the starter or on the fire wall or fender???
Can't say for positive on the Windstar, but on my '92 ranger and '85 F150, they are on the fender. You said in your first post that you jumped the solenoid, so, that is the one you need to change.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:37   #6 (permalink)

that is what I thought but the rude guy at Auto Zone acted like I was dumb. He said it was on the fire wall. But mine looked like the kind on an older chevy starter????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar