Newbie with Winstar - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2005, 20:32   #1 (permalink)

Newbie with Winstar

Hi everyone,
I have been reading this forum for a day or so, and I too have a 98 Winstar.
But so far it's been treating me pretty well so far but after reading your posts, I am getting a bit concerned now that I have 121K on it - original engine.
I regularly change the oil, not at the recommended mileage but close enough. Over the summer I think I experience a head gasket problem where I smelled antifreeze in the car, the car would act like its miss-firing, etc...
but after I changed my oil, Ford said they put leak proof in, and so far I do not smell this anymore. So I think I am OK with it for now. Yes, I constantly have the brake light on, it came on during my last brake repair, but was told it was a sensor at the block, well I am not worried about this one either, the engine light is on like the brake light, was told it was the oxygen sensor at the exhaust, have not looked at this.
But my problem is this, went to Jiffy Lube for the cars routine signature service, got the transmission flush, got the engine oil flush, the antifreeze apparently is FULL whatever that means, I will assume it tested OK. But now after three hours I am starting to hear "chirping" around the belts, alternator area. Now I know the belt is good, just had it replaced, the alternator is a rebuild. I am afraid it's my water pump - would I be correct? Or is this something coincidence because I had all the fluids tested?
I need to know this quickly because my family and I are moving to Michigan from Illinois in two weeks and I do not need a major repair bill right now.
Any suggestions?? If so how much damage am I to expect.
sgabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2005, 04:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: Newbie with Winstar

Gday,
Sgabriel sounds like a few small problems a couple i might be able to help you with when say brake light stays on i am assuming you mean hand brake light.
1. Sometimes when the brake fluid reservoir is low on brake fluid that can cause the hand brake light to come on as a warning of low brake fluid opposed to the hand brake being on. Don't tell you that in the glove box manual normally.
2. If new fan belts and alternator belts have just been fitted they may not have been fitted with enough tension causing them to slip causing a squell. This can be fixed by ajusting the belt tensions or a quick fix may be to by some belt grip in a can that can spay on the belts assisting them in gripping 2nd option does not always work.

If either of the two belt options does not fix the problem then it very well may be a bearing in the water pump or if you have a belt tensioner pully it may be the bearing in that.

Hope this helps

Cheers

63 Freak
63Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar