overheating problem. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2004, 03:03   #1 (permalink)

overheating problem.

Hello all.
I have just bought a 1996 windstar gl 128k. The first day I used it, it overheated due to low coolant level. I put in about 2 quarts (50-50 ratio). The next day (today) I drove around town all day, no problem. Tonight I take it out to a 3k destination, and hardly shows as warmed up. Parked it. Coming back 1 1/2 hours later, I noticed, just about home, a gurgling sound, similar to air in system and the heat gauge quickly climbing to the red. After parking it, thinking somehow the coolant level has dropped again, I checked the overflow container and it is up where I filled it the day before.
By the way, I slowly released the radiator cap and air bubbled into the overflow tank.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why it would heat up and make gurgling sounds when the coolant levels show normal in the overflow container?
Thanks,
Chris W.
chriswakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2004, 10:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: overheating problem.

the thermostat is sticking. probably due to being low on coolant. being low on coolant made it go dry and it probably got some kind of deposits or something wich would make it stick
themaninthehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 13:08   #3 (permalink)
MustangsForever

my 98 Windstar behaved in the same manner. replaced thermostat and upper/loer rad hoses. no more overheating.
cliffc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:17   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffc12
my 98 Windstar behaved in the same manner. replaced thermostat and upper/loer rad hoses. no more overheating.
Thanks so much for your replies.
I have been bleeding the air out of the system each time I stop the vehicle throughout the day. I do this by releasing the rad cap a little till it leaves via the hose to the overflow container.
This seems to have stabilized things for now. At least its not overheating for now.
I hadn't thought of the thermostat. I guess I will find out soon enough if the thermostat has loosened up? Or, once they stick, are they completely stuck?
Thanks,
ChrisW.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:39   #5 (permalink)

Greetings all.

I thought I would post an update to my problem:

The "gas" is very consistent. Each time I release it, it is the same amount. I think it is steam from the water in the coolant.
What I have noticed of late, (with the heater/blower on full) driving along with the engine well warmed (according to the temp/gauge) I only have cold air blowing from the "heater" ... then suddenly, the temp gauge will climb fairly quickly, then, as it tops out just short of "pull over the shut off the engine" the air from the heater begins to heat up and the gauge slowly falls back to a normal postion from whence it came.
I have just finished installing a new thermostat, took it for a run and the same thing is happening.
With this new info, does anyone have any ideas?
Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar