Poor AM Reception: Windstar Antenna in Glass - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 09:55   #1 (permalink)

frown Poor AM Reception: Windstar Antenna in Glass

I have a 2001 Windstar with the antenna in class. The AM reception has recently become poor but still functional. The FM reception is very good. Does anyone have a suggestion? I asked about installing a regular external antenna, but none are apparently available for the Windstar. Could I have a corroded cable or defection antenna in glass?
sevenpondskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2005, 13:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: Poor AM Reception: Windstar Antenna in Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpondskid
I have a 2001 Windstar with the antenna in class. The AM reception has recently become poor but still functional. The FM reception is very good. Does anyone have a suggestion? I asked about installing a regular external antenna, but none are apparently available for the Windstar. Could I have a corroded cable or defection antenna in glass?
I have the same problem with the same car. Did you ever find a solution?
edziu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:36   #3 (permalink)
old B - new B

do you have window tint on the window with the antenna ??

if you use a metal based window tint film over the aerial it will cut out the reception a lot. especialy on AM band.

you need to use a non metalised window film , either a plain dyed film ( usually poor quality) or a carbon based film like 3M colour stable black (which dosn`t change colour like the dyed films do ).
WWW.sunshield.biz
351cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 19:44   #4 (permalink)

Same problem here...any help

Are there any after market antennas available?
boierlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 17:52   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boierlman View Post
Same problem here...any help

Are there any after market antennas available?
I have poor AM on my 1999 Windstar. What window is the AM antenna attached to ? I will try to install an external antenna and report the results. AM Connector locations would be very helpful....
jrdol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 19:50   #6 (permalink)

I managed to find the cause of this problem. I have a 04 freestar cargo van with the rear panels pulled out,and the am reception was marginal when I got it. I had the aftermarket head unit from my ranger transfered to the freestar, and the am reception got even worse.

The antenna amp at the rt rear window is exposed in my stripped cargo version and there was no +12v going to the amp. I used a 12v LiPo bat and gave the wire going to the ant amp some juice, and the am reception was way better.

Now i just have to make the wire hot with the radio.

Update: Its fixed! I made a jumper to hook up the ant. rem. from the Sony head unit to the yellow/black wire of the OEM radio connector. AM and FM reception much better.
goliathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar