Power Steering Problem - Need some advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 06:46   #1 (permalink)

Power Steering Problem - Need some advice

Hi Guys,

This is my first post. I own a 96 Ford F250 which has been trouble free since the day I bought it brand new and unfortunately a 95 windstar which was given to us by my wifes father as something to fill in until we bought something new. We've had it for about 3 years and its been nothing but trouble. My father in law keeps dumping money into it and my wife keeps complaining to ME.

But what happened thursday is basically going to make or break my decesion whether or not to keep this pos or junk it.

Its got about 150k on it. My wife left the house the other day and it started spewing power steering fluid all down the street as she got a bit farther down the street it started making a loud banging noise when she turned the wheel to the right then it stalled and would not start. We pushed it back to our house w/ my F250. It was in neutral on the way back and did not make any noise when turned the wheel or moving.

I opened the hood and noticed one of the hoses going into the pump resivor was off. I put it back on and filled it back up w/ power steering fluid. Still wouldnt start so we put it in nuetral again and pushed it about 1/2 of a mile down the street to our local gas station/garage. We made left and right turns on the way and it did not make any noises.

When I got it there I explained what happened to the mechanic and showed him how it wouldnt turn over and it actually started but the hose flew right off again. There seems to be a high pressure issue because the clamp is on the end of the hose and its very tight. Mechanic said he would put on a better clamp and we could try it out the next day.

I went down yesterday, started it up backed up and as soon as I turned the wheel it made a very loud banging noise and stalled again. I checked the hose and it was still on but pushed off a little as it wanted to come off. The van would not start back up after it stalled. I pushed it back into its parking spot and now need to know what to do.

Mechanic said he is not sure what is wrong w/ it. Said it could be a rack or the pump but would need to tear into it to find the problem. He said the banging is not related but I think it is cause its been running fine up until the power steering explosion on Thursday. I dont want to spend more than $300 on this piece of $hit. Its basically worthless anyway. You can buy a whole 95 van on ebay for $200. Im not in a position to buy another car but will have to figure it out as I refuse to dump anymore money into the worst Ford vehicle ever manufactured.

I personally think something is getting pinched when the wheel is turned which is causing it to stall. My wife said its been stalling alot in the past month when going from drive to reverse, backing up and cutting the wheel. It is possible for something in the power steering to get pinched and cause the vehicle to stall?

What is the loud banging when turning the wheel? It only happens when the car is on as it doesnt happen when in neutral and rolling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
George
GeorgeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2008, 18:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: Power Steering Problem - Need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeL View Post
Hi Guys,

This is my first post. I own a 96 Ford F250 which has been trouble free since the day I bought it brand new and unfortunately a 95 windstar which was given to us by my wifes father as something to fill in until we bought something new. We've had it for about 3 years and its been nothing but trouble. My father in law keeps dumping money into it and my wife keeps complaining to ME.

But what happened thursday is basically going to make or break my decesion whether or not to keep this pos or junk it.

Its got about 150k on it. My wife left the house the other day and it started spewing power steering fluid all down the street as she got a bit farther down the street it started making a loud banging noise when she turned the wheel to the right then it stalled and would not start. We pushed it back to our house w/ my F250. It was in neutral on the way back and did not make any noise when turned the wheel or moving.

I opened the hood and noticed one of the hoses going into the pump resivor was off. I put it back on and filled it back up w/ power steering fluid. Still wouldnt start so we put it in nuetral again and pushed it about 1/2 of a mile down the street to our local gas station/garage. We made left and right turns on the way and it did not make any noises.

When I got it there I explained what happened to the mechanic and showed him how it wouldnt turn over and it actually started but the hose flew right off again. There seems to be a high pressure issue because the clamp is on the end of the hose and its very tight. Mechanic said he would put on a better clamp and we could try it out the next day.

I went down yesterday, started it up backed up and as soon as I turned the wheel it made a very loud banging noise and stalled again. I checked the hose and it was still on but pushed off a little as it wanted to come off. The van would not start back up after it stalled. I pushed it back into its parking spot and now need to know what to do.

Mechanic said he is not sure what is wrong w/ it. Said it could be a rack or the pump but would need to tear into it to find the problem. He said the banging is not related but I think it is cause its been running fine up until the power steering explosion on Thursday. I dont want to spend more than $300 on this piece of $hit. Its basically worthless anyway. You can buy a whole 95 van on ebay for $200. Im not in a position to buy another car but will have to figure it out as I refuse to dump anymore money into the worst Ford vehicle ever manufactured.

I personally think something is getting pinched when the wheel is turned which is causing it to stall. My wife said its been stalling alot in the past month when going from drive to reverse, backing up and cutting the wheel. It is possible for something in the power steering to get pinched and cause the vehicle to stall?

What is the loud banging when turning the wheel? It only happens when the car is on as it doesnt happen when in neutral and rolling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
George

George it's your Power Steering Pump, Replace it and the Hoses to the Rackinpinion.
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar