Power Steering Whining - 2002 Windstar - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 20:38   #1 (permalink)

Power Steering Whining - 2002 Windstar

My power steering has been whining merrily away for quite sometime now. I've had it in to both Ford and the local mechanic and nobody seems to think anything is wrong with it. I just had it in for an oil change and noticed that the whine is even worse. It's fine for short, local trips, but the longer it's running, the worse it gets. Tonight was the worst ever - I was embarrassed by all the whiny/grinding noises coming from under the hood. I checked the fluid level and there was powersteering fluid all around the outside of the reservoir. I'm wondering if the fluid was overfilled at it's last service, or is it a sign the pump is on the verge of packing it in? I drained some of the fluid from the reservoir and the whiny noise wasn't as bad, but then again, it just could be that it had cooled down some by then. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
bailey3690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2007, 06:18   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: Power Steering Whining - 2002 Windstar

If the fluid is full and it still whines, then replace the pump.

MOVED to Van discussion.........................
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:51   #3 (permalink)

my 98 windstar did the same thing but it ended up blowing a line, there is pressure switch inside the pump that can fail. it sounds like yours will soon replace the pump asap.
fireman614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:55   #4 (permalink)

Thanks - it's going into the shop on Monday. Any idea what its going to cost?
bailey3690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:03   #5 (permalink)
98 GREEN HORNET

I've got a 2002 Windstar with the same problem, I solved the problem with Lucus PowerSteering and Leak Conditioner. I drew out as much of the fluid from the resovoir and filled with Lucus. The whining noise was gone almost instantly. Good Luck.
mots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 20:32   #6 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mots
I solved the problem with Lucus PowerSteering and Leak Conditioner.
Guess how much a replacement steering rack is plus labor? That shit can swell the rack seals and will cost you in the long run.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 00:09   #7 (permalink)
GirlsCanWorkOnCarsToo

Bumping this one up.. 10/2011 My PSP started screaming, then after 3 weeks of this (rather embarrassing noise) it started getting hard to turn. I took off the serpentine belt & replaced the pump filled it with Mercon V. It runs great! Also found out my PSP was a rebuilt to begin with...! Serpentine belt.. ( 2002 Windstar serpintine belt diagram Bert had the right diag. for the '02. Pull on the top as hard as you can towards the front of the car. Slip it off. I had to disassemble the wipers & under the hood all the components, this only takes about 10 min. (pain in the butt) very necessary. 18mm wrench for the PSP. Simple. ;o) I went ahead & put on a new Serp. Belt since it is 10yrs old. Next mission: EGR Valve, Driver window motor
Old 02-03-2012, 13:36   #8 (permalink)

reply to green hornet's post. The Lucas Treatment worked wonders for me to
foune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar