Ok here goes...
A close Friend of mine has a problem with his 2001 Ford Windstar. His starter solenoid went out, and was making the classic.."click,clicking" sound. He called me up, and asked my advice.
I told him him to go get a Re-built Starter, advise him on the procedure to remove it and replace it. He did so and followed my instruction to the letter.
The next day he calls and said he think he may have blown a Fuse...Because every-time he turn the key over to start it...it did nothing....and I mean nothing. Wow my first thought was the Ignition switch was bad, or it should have least made the standard "clicking" out under the hood.
I asked him if he had made sure he had tighten the terminals to the starter. He said he had, and made sure everything went back as it came off.
So I went over to help..and here is what I did:
1. Turn the ignition on and over to start position...nothing..the warning lights came on in the run position..when I turn the Key to start position, the lights would go off...now here is it gets wierd...all of the gages would go off, or down...the Fuel gauge would go from 3/4 of a tank to E...the Oil pressure would go to L.
2. I then checked the Starter...checked to see if the terminals were on the correct post, and tighten..check to see if any wires were bare or fared, and they were not. everything looked good..
3. Just for Shits and giggles I asked my friend to turn the ignition switch on to the Run position. I then did the old trick of jumping the terminals on the starter....Zoom, Zoom it started right up.
4. Turn off the ignition, and tried to start it again...no luck...nothing.
5. Ok the next step..checked all fuses,and relays. I used both a Volt Meter,Circuit Tester, and a Self power continuity tester. All appeared to be fine. I then Visually checked each Mini fuse, and Maxi fuse, all appeared to be fine.
6. Then I got under the Steering column..Pulled the ignition switch.. and check it with a Continuity tester, and Volt meter....It was just fine.
7. Pulled the ignition cylinder from the column, and made sure the Mechanism worked...it did.
8. Put everything back toghether...and tried to start the car...NOTHING...It appears when I turn the ignition switch over to the Run Position every-things dies....
HELP....O YES...did i mention my friend had just replaced the Battery 3 day's before this all happen...
Does anyone have any ideas what the HECK is going on????