Smoke/Burning smell from wheel well...Caliper? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 23:59   #1 (permalink)
93 Aerostar XL 4.0L V6

Smoke/Burning smell from wheel well...Caliper?

I have a 93 Aerostar RWD 4.0L that I was driving around town a few weeks ago and I noticed it wasn't braking that well. The pedal is usually firm but easy to push and very sensitive...instead it was a lot firmer and didn't brake as quickly when i put my foot down. The van itself felt a little under powered, like something was holding it back and I had to put my foot down a lot more to get it up to speed. After awhile I began getting a really bad burning smell coming in through the driver window. I pulled over and saw small faint lines of smoke coming out of the front driverside wheel well, upon closer inspection I got a good wiff of burnt brake pad (I am familiar with the scent) and the hub cap on the wheel was really hot. I automatically assumed the caliper was ceased. Later when I had free time took the wheel off removed the caliper from the wheel and everything looked fine. I was able to push the piston back in with ease using a C-clamp, but there was a lot of corrosion in and around the piston, I wire brushed it off and greased and cleaned everything up. I took it out since then on a few short trips to the store, everything seemed fine. Today however it happened again, and I began smelling burnt brake pad from the same wheel well. It only seems to happen when I have been driving it for a long time like 30mins to 1hr, short trips everything is fine. Is this the caliper or the Master cylinder? Due to the excessive heat around the wheel hub should i maybe think about replacing the inner and outer wheel bearings as well?
Mr_aerostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 09:16   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Smoke/Burning smell from wheel well...Caliper?

If it's not the calliper or pads sticking , another fault that I have had on other cars is the brake flexible hose collapsing inside and stopping the brake fluid returning , hence holding brake on .If the hub has thrown grease and taken a roasting might be worth changing bearings for peace of mind .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:32   #3 (permalink)
93 Aerostar XL 4.0L V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
If it's not the calliper or pads sticking , another fault that I have had on other cars is the brake flexible hose collapsing inside and stopping the brake fluid returning , hence holding brake on .If the hub has thrown grease and taken a roasting might be worth changing bearings for peace of mind .
Really? I never knew that could happen with those rubber lines, but they are the original lines. Well I'm probably going to have to replace the steel lines as well there is a lot of rust around where the rubber attaches to the steel lines, I doubt I could get it off without snapping something. Lucky for my though the Master cylinder is right above the wheel so i only have to run a few feet of new pipe.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to replace the rubber lines and maybe pick up a used caliper from the scrap yard just to be sure.
Mr_aerostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 13:07   #4 (permalink)

Your going to pick up a used caliper from a scrap yard ? Buy someone else's junk ?
A new one is only $30.00.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 13:17   #5 (permalink)

Had that too on my 93. It was not the caliper piston but the "slide pins" that let the other half move which were corroded/stuck. The slide pins look like [] with rubber in the middle. But if it got that hot, I'd replace the pads, caliper, and wheel bearings, too. Then do the other side. Joel
joelbugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar