steering 04 freestar 4.2 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46   #1 (permalink)

steering 04 freestar 4.2

steering suddenly got stiffer to steer like pump is working on half power or something . And when you let go the steering after a turn in a parking lot or something the steering does not correct itself.
Any suggestions.
river brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 08:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: steering 04 freestar 4.2

I realize this is an old post, but for the benefit of future readers....

The steering shaft is a common (but little known) condition that affects many Windstar and Freestar (which uses the Windstar) steering shaft.

If you haven't let the stiff condition go on too long, you probably only need to lubricate.

Lubrication
Lubricate it by spraying alot of WD-40 on the steering shaft's lower U-joint immediately above the steering rack spool housing.

Spray it good, turn the wheel 180* to either direction and spray it again.
Then work the wheel back and forth form full-stop to full-stop.

After that, check to see how much play you have in the joint ... you do this by doing a "dry park" test.

Dry Park Test:
- With vehicle off, in Neutral and the full weight of the vehicle on all four tires (i.e., front wheels loaded), have a helper turn turn the steering wheel slightly while you feel the U-joint for play.

Unless you are a really skinny anorexia guy, you'll need to have the front wheels on a ramp.

If you see a lot of play in the lower u-joint or the WD-40 lubrication described above fixes the problem for only a short period of time, then you need to replace the steering shaft.

Steering Shaft R&R: (Removal & Replacement)
The steering shaft is a Ford-only part... so you need to buy it through Ford Dealer... as of 2013 they are going for $150-$200.

But the removal and replacement is easy. The unit is attached with only a pinch bolt on top (inside the cab under the dash by the shaft's upper U-joint) and a pinch bolt under the vehicle where you just sprayed the U-joint.

Pinch bolts are easy... lefty loosey, righty-tighty.
ChicagoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 19:53   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Thanks for the info, hope it helps somebody.
Old 02-17-2013, 19:07   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Good info indeed. I lube my Durango steering shaft every few months.

On a side note, I'm not sure if this would pertain to the Ford vans, but Dodge Caravan's have a filter in the tube below the power steering reservoir. If this gets clogged the steering won't necessarily get stiff (it will in some cases) but you'll notice an increase in power steering whine.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar