suspension question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 21:43   #1 (permalink)
TKO

suspension question

I am purchasing a smaller car soon. I was told the previous owner hit a curb and now is inoperable. I looked at it today. Sway bar link, control arm, and strut are completely done. Im the neighbor. and i was trying not to tow the thing next door. I curious if i replace the control arm and the sway bar link, if i could pull it out, and drive it next door to my garage. without replacing the strut and compressing the spring blah blah. If i go slow enough?
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 04:01   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: suspension question

You will have to make sure there is no chassis / mounting damage also if it is as bad as stated or you will never get it aligned properly .Depending on car , if it has front wheel drive , you could have transmission problems to add to list .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 18:18   #3 (permalink)
TKO

it is RWD and at quick glance it looks like no frame damage. Just the ball joint broke apart from the frame, not the knuckle. I have never replaced struts before. but i have done shock absorbers. Is that the same thing as the shock? Is there anything else i need to know replacing it? I see 3 bolts inside the engine bay, and the strut sits inside the knuckle. like my windstar. So im pretty sure i only have lower control arms, swaybar link. shock, strut, and tie rod. Is that the basic setup?
Old 03-01-2012, 18:30   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

What is the car?
Old 03-01-2012, 21:28   #5 (permalink)
TKO

bmw 525i. only reason im on ford is because i always ask you guys for everything, regardless of model or make
Old 03-02-2012, 03:43   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

You dont say what year the car is but this link with pics on the 5 series might give you an idea what is involved .

1998 BMW 528i Complete FRONT Suspension Overhaul - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum
Old 03-02-2012, 07:51   #7 (permalink)
TKO

I just want to say thank you to everyone on FORD FORUMS. I went to the "bimmerfest forums" and there is a way different crowd on that forum. I went on here and im asking questions about a bmw. and you guys are still helping. I asked a few questions and the way they talk to me, and stuff is rediculous. quite honestly idt ill get the car just because i wont be able to have any help from them. I am happy buying ford still. and its a 1998 E34 bmw 525i. It tooks 10 replies from 8 ppl and in the last reply just to figure out what i had.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:34   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Glad the forum has helped you out , good to hear . A lot of us have worked on many different makes over the years , not just Fords and will always try to help or advise where possible .
Old 03-02-2012, 16:49   #9 (permalink)
TKO

I really appreciate it guys seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar