temp gauge reads high due to ground problem? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2003, 07:31   #1 (permalink)
eyoungberg

Question temp gauge reads high due to ground problem?

I have a '91 E150 that for some time now (i.e., years) has had a temperature gauge that reads abnormally high. I have replaced sensors, voltage regulators and the gauge itself in the past and gotten better results for a time, then it seemed like it would deteriorate, re-exhibiting the problem. It has gotten to the point now that normally the gauge consistently reads just barely below the diagonal slant of the temperature line, just before H.

Question 1: is there a known problem with gauges, particulary the temperature gauge, reading high due to a poor grounding situation that exists between the instrument cluster and the battery?

Question 2: If the answer to 1 is yes, is the temperature gauge particularly affected because it is the lowest impedance sensor, and therefore provides the best alternative ground for the instrument cluster?

We recently went on a long trip through the hills/mountains of Nevada across I-80. At one point the gauge bumped up against H. I pulled over and, after about 2 minutes, checked the radiator. It was warm to the touch, but not anything even close to overheating.

I recently replaced the ground cable from the battery to the chassis/motor with a stock cable from Ford. It was after this I noticed that the temperature indication would ride consistently very high.

Any inputs, before I tear into my dash board yet again, would be greratly appreciated.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2003, 03:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: temp gauge reads high due to ground problem?

i think if you ground the sending unit wire, it pegs the guage to hot. I think thats how you check if the guage works.
Check it with a mechanical guage that way you'll know for sure becuase the stock guages are pretty crappy
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:21   #3 (permalink)

Also i thought id let you know, theres actually an E Series section but heres okay too. :s6:
Old 10-24-2003, 21:14   #4 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89F150
theres actually an E Series section but heres okay too. :s6:
no it's not.

but i am willing to let it go for now if your good !

i dont think the ground is the problem because if you didnt have a good ground you electric gauge would not work.
i would look more at the sender for the guage or see what temp the thermastat is.
another thing to consider is that when you replaced the sender before you didnt replace the gauge as a set and the sender might not be calibrated exactly to match the gauge you have which could cause it to read higher or lower than normal.
higher in your case.
as this doesnt effect the operating temp i would not worry to much about it unless you feel it is necessary.
Old 10-24-2003, 21:22   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351w
no it's not.
Geez 351, hes a FF virgin, he just didn't no where to stick it :s6:
Old 10-24-2003, 21:30   #6 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

i seen that 89 and i am not heartless.
thats why i left it here.
but i will move it in a few days to where it's proper home is.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar