Tranny is blowing fluid out the fill pipe - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 16:31   #1 (permalink)

confused Tranny is blowing fluid out the fill pipe

Recently I changed out the front hub bearing on my 2001 windstar. As the bearing was going bad the tranny would slip a little when starting out or pulling a hill. I figured it was due to the heavy stress from the bad bearing. The bearing went in ok. The next day its still slipping some. Felolow shade-tree mechanics suggested changing the old fluid and filter and add some Lucas to help it. Did it that evening. Ran better. Today the wife is driving and O/D lite starts to flash. She gets it home and there is buddle of fluid under drivers side. I jack it up to inspect for leaks and check that all the pan bolts are tight. All good. I ran it for about 10 minutes in both park and neutral while looking for leaks. Once I shut it off I went to check the fluid level again. When pulling the dip stick fluid blew out the tube. There was pressure from the tranny. This is one I've never heard of. What's next?
IMC1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 19:23   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Tranny is blowing fluid out the fill pipe

Sounds like the transmission vent is blocked. Not sure exactly where it is located, I'll keep looking for that info.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 19:46   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

TSB 06-18-13

09/18/06
ERRATIC FLUID LEVEL READING ON TRANSAXLE
DIPSTICK - LEAKS - 4F50N, AX4N, AX4S

FORD:
2000-2007 Taurus
2000-2007 Windstar
2004-2007 Freestar

MERCURY:
2000-2005 Sable
2004-2007 Monterey

This article supersedes TSB 05-14-5 to update the Service Procedure and vehicle model years.
ISSUE
Some 2000-2007 Taurus, 2000-2005 Sable, 2000-2003 Windstar, and 2004-2007 Freestar/Monterey vehicles, equipped with a 4F50N, AX4N, or AX4S transaxle, may exhibit an erratic fluid level reading on the transaxle dipstick and possible leaks around the filler tube and grommet. The condition may be due to a restricted transaxle vent.

ACTION
Repair the transaxle vent restriction by replacing the transaxle vent with a 90°vent stem, small hose clamp, two (2) tie raps, and 24" (61 cm) of 5/16" (8 mm) vacuum hose. The 5/16" (8 mm) vacuum hose will be routed from the 90°vent on the transaxle back to the cowl area, next to the brake master cylinder and tie rapped in place with the end of the hose facing down. Refer to the following Service Procedures.

NOTE LEAKS MAY BE MISDIAGNOSED AS COMING FROM THE PAN GASKET. ALWAYS FOLLOW WORKSHOP MANUAL, SECTION 307-01 TO LOCATE THE SOURCE OF A LEAK, AND LEAK CHECK WITH BLACK LIGHT AND DYE.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Disconnect the mass air flow (MAF) sensor electrical connector.

2. Disconnect the crankcase vent tube(s) from the air cleaner outlet pipe.

3. Loosen the clamp and disconnect the air cleaner outlet pipe from the throttle body.

4. Release the air cleaner housing clamp(s).

5. Separate the air cleaner cover from the air cleaner tray.

6. Windstar, Freestar and Monterey only: Remove cowl panel grille.

7. Disconnect the shift cable if located over the top of the vent.

8. Remove the vent, pull straight up on the vent with locking pliers, or carefully pry the vent from the transaxle case.

9. Install the replacement 90°vent stem.

Windstar, Freestar, Monterey, Taurus, and Sable with column shifter - Must face to the right rear of the vehicle with the flat edge of vent base parallel to the chain cover boss (Figure 1)

10. Install one end of a 24" (61 cm) long piece of 5/16" (8 mm) vacuum hose to the 90°vent stem and secure with a small hose clamp.

11. Route the vacuum hose back and up to the cowl area and down next to the brake master cylinder. Carefully tie rap the hose in place next to the brake master cylinder (do not tie rap to brake lines), be sure the end of the hose is facing down and not directly above anything hot.

12. Connect the shift cable, if removed.

13. Install the air cleaner cover and outlet pipe.

NOTE USE THE ALIGNMENT NOTCHES TO CORRECTLY ALIGN THE AIR CLEANER COVER TO THE AIR CLEANER TRAY.

14. Install the air cleaner housing clamp(s).

15. Connect the air cleaner outlet pipe to the throttle body and tighten to 35 lb-in (4 N.m).

16. Connect the crankcase vent tube to the air cleaner outlet pipe.

17. Connect the MAF sensor electrical connector.

Seal and install the cowl panel grille.

Install four (4) new pushpin screw/rivets to secure the upper cowl to the lower cowl. Add Clear Silicone Rubber to the four (4) pushpin screw/rivets to make a watertight seal around them. (Figure 14)

Add Clear Silicone Rubber to the front seam between the upper and lower cowl in the area above the transaxle. (Figure 15)
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:09   #4 (permalink)

Thank you very much for the help and the pictures. I'll give it a look tonight and let you know how it went.
IMC1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar