Tranny Fluid missing - burning blue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2004, 20:23   #1 (permalink)

Question Tranny Fluid missing - burning blue

Hello,

I'm having problems with my 93 Aerostar. It's a 3.0 L automatic with 200,000KM. I'm having to put in about 2 litres of ATF/week. There are no signs of leaking anywhere. It's burning blue smoke a lot, and major pinging when under duress (up a steep hill). I brought it to my mechanic and couldn't find any sign of leaking ATF anywhere. He did a oil change and found 8.5 LITRES of oil in there. HOLY CRAP!! (no sign of any water) I guess that would explain all the pinging and blue smoke! He's looked for the vacuum modulator which I've read about on this site and others but said he can't find it and maybe it's doesn't even have one.
The pinging and smoke has subsided for the most part but the ATF is still disappearing and the oil level is rising.

HELP

Thanks
Aerostarmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2005, 22:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: Tranny Fluid missing - burning blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerostarmark
Hello,

I'm having problems with my 93 Aerostar. It's a 3.0 L automatic with 200,000KM. I'm having to put in about 2 litres of ATF/week. There are no signs of leaking anywhere. It's burning blue smoke a lot, and major pinging when under duress (up a steep hill). I brought it to my mechanic and couldn't find any sign of leaking ATF anywhere. He did a oil change and found 8.5 LITRES of oil in there. HOLY CRAP!! (no sign of any water) I guess that would explain all the pinging and blue smoke! He's looked for the vacuum modulator which I've read about on this site and others but said he can't find it and maybe it's doesn't even have one.
The pinging and smoke has subsided for the most part but the ATF is still disappearing and the oil level is rising.

HELP

Thanks

Just wondering if you found out the problem with your van I have a 94 3.0 that is doing the exact same thing I have run it for 1-1/2 years like this and have talked with mechanics and tranny shop no one has any idea what it is, I thought maybe it was a vacuum line of some kind. Any ways any info would be greatly appreciated thanks
toad39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:17   #3 (permalink)

Re: Tranny Fluid missing - vacuum modulator is leaking

Hi, I had a 93 Aerostar with the 4.0 and did the same thing. It turned out to be the vacuum modulator on the tranny. About $12 but a pain to reach. Does anyone know if it can be reached from inside through the dog house? I have another Aerostar, same problem again and they both started happening around 200K. Also, what size wrench is needed for the hold down screw? The first van was so bad I had to drain the excess a couple times from the oil pan. This van burns enough oil to keep it under control.
Thanks!
kputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar