Ford Forums banner

Wacky steering?? 98 windstar

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  boots6868 
#1 ·
Ok guys got another question for you. I just picked this windstar up yesterday. On the test drive all went ok. ( i know it needs a engine) but the rest was pretty darn good for a vehicle with 190k on it.
The steering seems good but i noticed on the old guys back roads it seemed to bull the steering around. I guess for lack of a better word like too much bumpsteer. Now i havent even a chance to look up under the van yet. I mean it steers straight, tracks decent, but if you go over a twisted hill even slight the steering has its own mind so to speak. thanks for any ideas
p.s on a side note is it easier to pull the engine out the top or take her out the bottom, I do have a nice engine crane. opinions please:beerbottl

#2 ·
Most vans it's easier to move the engine out through the bottom. A bit more work but a lot less aggravation than moving cooling components such as the front rad, etc, out of the way.

If the steering is loose, I'd look at the shafts as there's probably a joint (knuckle/u joint) worn that should be replaced. Start the van, get a glove on and move the steering shaft from under the hood. If you see ANY play, that's your culprit. No need to look under the van if the shafts are loose! Otherwise then yes, look underneath and see if the pitman's are loose, etc.

#3 ·
ok heres what i know to date.. I just swapped engines out i took a chance and pulled it out the top.. not too bad of a deal really... I completely stripped the motor down to the bones. all i had left was oil pan, timing cover, heads, valve covers. once all the bull crap was out of the way including the water pump. there was tons of room i didnt even pull the radiator and fans. i did remove the upper cowl covers.
ok about the steering could it be my rack?? tell you what i got now that shes running perfectly. power steering pump whines like crazy it is full i had emptied it when i removed the pump and put fresh fluid in it. but i didnt flush the system. now my fluid is jet black and rather thin and quite possibly has a cast of metal shine on the fluid. maybe i should just make a trip to junkyard and get a rack and power steering pump. what yall think?

#4 ·
wacky steering fixed! after the engine swap i had the oppurtunity to get up under it really look things over. after removing the tire on the passenger side. the first thing i see is the sway bar end not attached to anything.. I put a new grade 8 bolt and nut on it with some locktite red. boy oh boy its like a new car. just thought you might like an update. thanks all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.