What are those gismos? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 13:37   #1 (permalink)

What are those gismos?

Trying to identify the function of two components under the hood of a 1986 E-150 Ford clubwagon van 302 engine, distributor mounted control module.

There are two, what looks like relays in tandem mounted on a thick strap that feels like hard rubber material. This strap is mounted to the passenger side fender up front across from the battery. Those two relay looking things have a bunch of wires coming out of the bottom.

I’m wondering if either one has to do with the electric fuel pump because I don’t hear it purr momentarily anymore when I cut the switch on.

On the other puzzle, there is a shaft about 3/4" in diameter hex shape and about 8" long where a little dome like thing brass in color (about the size of a carburetor float bowl on a lawn mower) mounts on the shaft near the end with one wire that slips on a stud coming out the top.

The shaft part appears to be bolted to the engine block drivers side to the rear of the water pump and underneath the power steering pump.

Cant find any photos or drawings of the above components anywhere, not even in the Chilton manual for Ford vans.

Any help appreciated!

Charles
tellfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 16:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: What are those gismos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellfile View Post
Trying to identify the function of two components under the hood of a 1986 E-150 Ford clubwagon van 302 engine, distributor mounted control module.

There are two, what looks like relays in tandem mounted on a thick strap that feels like hard rubber material. This strap is mounted to the passenger side fender up front across from the battery. Those two relay looking things have a bunch of wires coming out of the bottom.

I’m wondering if either one has to do with the electric fuel pump because I don’t hear it purr momentarily anymore when I cut the switch on.

On the other puzzle, there is a shaft about 3/4" in diameter hex shape and about 8" long where a little dome like thing brass in color (about the size of a carburetor float bowl on a lawn mower) mounts on the shaft near the end with one wire that slips on a stud coming out the top.

The shaft part appears to be bolted to the engine block drivers side to the rear of the water pump and underneath the power steering pump.

Cant find any photos or drawings of the above components anywhere, not even in the Chilton manual for Ford vans.

Any help appreciated!

Charles

Hello and good day:

Is ther any way you can Post some Photo's of these items?? They would be most helpful to view them.

The First part of you post...sounds like they could be "Fuselinks":

A fusible link is a device consisting of two strips of metal soldered together with a fusible alloy that is designed to melt at a specific temperature, thus allowing the two pieces to separate.

Fusible links are utilized as the triggering device in fire sprinkler systems and mechanical automatic door release mechanisms that close fire doors in warehouses, etc. Some high-security safes also utilize fusible link-based relockers as a defense against torches and heat-producing tools. Automobiles also may utilize fusible links.

Fusible links come in a variety of designs and different temperature ratings.

Will await your photos.
Old 01-24-2009, 17:00   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for reply,

Don't have a camera, but I did attempt some crude drawings.
The two things with wires are about the size and as thick as an ice cube.

The other component below looks like a door knob sitting on the end of the shaft.

Old 01-24-2009, 17:46   #4 (permalink)

Woweeee!!!

LOL...sorry this is a puzzler...let me check with a couple of Forum friends on this one. This may take a few day's so please be Patience.

Thank you
Old 01-25-2009, 17:27   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

Pics would help for sure. Based on the drawings, first looks like maybe relays, the second maybe a sending unit- oil pressure or oil level
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 17:45   #6 (permalink)
Always the student

sending unit like this one??
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...enderSmall.jpg
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 18:33   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Fuel Pump relay location according to Autozone;

Under hood, passenger side, front engine area, rear of headlight housing, mounted on upper fenderwell
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 18:10   #8 (permalink)

Thank you Guy's:

I would have had no clue on this one...hope he got the information
Old 02-04-2009, 21:53   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
Sorry I didn't get back to all the these responses. Didn't get the forum notice emails although my Control panel was set for it. I was doing a google search on something and happen to see my gismo title come up.

Yes the above pic looks similar to what I have. I guess it would be oil pressure sending unit since it's right there at the filter.

The guys at "Just Answer.com" couldn't answer it.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 22:14   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Fuel Pump relay location according to Autozone;

Under hood, passenger side, front engine area, rear of headlight housing, mounted on upper fenderwell
I happened to notice last week that those wires are just dangling down with connectors on the ends unplugged. Looks like they've been unplugged for years judging by all the dust caked on them. I couldn't find where they mated to.

So that eliminates the fuel pump relay guess.

The little round magnets you see at the back of radio speakers, it looks like it has something simular on each. The previous owner used to drive that van from Georgia to Alaska on camping trips. I wonder if its something they once used to keep an auxiliary battery charged up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar