Windstar Head Gasket Symptoms - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2004, 09:00   #1 (permalink)
Holden Lover

confused Windstar Head Gasket Symptoms

Hello All!

I hope someone can help me out with this . . . what are the symptoms of a blown head gasket on a Windstar?

I have a 1997 Windstar with the 3.8 liter. It runs fine, no missing or rough idle, but it is using about a quart of coolant every couple weeks AND during the winter it wouldn't heat up right (as in the heater) unless the outside temp was above freezing. If it was below freezing outside the temp gauge would barely come off of COLD and the heater only blew warm air, but if outside temperature was above freezing everything works fine . . .

Pretty weird . . . my brother-in-law says it is a head gasket, but a friend thinks it is just a bad temperature sensor . . . he says an indication of this is that the radiator fan is coming on before the motor has had time to warm-up properly . . . even when it is cold out the radiator fan comes on within a couple minutes . . .

Any and all comments will be welcome . . . this has been a great little van, but I don't want to put $2000 in head gaskets if there is no need . . .

Thanks,

Big D
Big D 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar