Windstar tire question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 13:27   #1 (permalink)

Windstar tire question

Hi,

I have a 99 Windstar that I'm hoping to get a year or two more out of it. I need to put on new tires. The size it calls for are 215/70/15..... I can get a set of good condition 225/70/15 at absolutely no charge, but I'm wondering if the extra width of the tire will pose a problem?.... also they seem to be a little taller, but maybe that just a relatively new tire compared to ones that are at the end of the life.

Thanks in advance.
Mike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 17:00   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Windstar tire question

Put the tire sizes in here and you can see what the differences are. Tire size calculator
Old 07-12-2010, 13:51   #3 (permalink)
canuck

If you have the owners manual you can see how wide the rims are. You can phone a tire place and just get some advice on mounting 10mm wider tires on stock wheels. The tire size calc is good for verifying your speed with the larger tire size, just so you're aware of it. The height difference will be minimal at most (7mm) but that's not to say you could set the tire pressure at 30psi, instead of say 32-34psi and they'd be almost the same height as the stock size. Again, I doubt you'll have problems installing the slightly wider tires, but it's always best to check in with a tire shop.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:37   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys..... just thought maybe someone had already done this and could confirm it works.

Anyway..... doesn't matter found a 2000 with only 108k with very little to do to it for $1,800. Didn't want t spend any money as one car already had to be replace this year (fire)..... but for under 2 grand I know I can easily get 2,3 years out of this as a second vehicle, especially when I strip parts of mine before it sees the bone yard.
Mike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:14   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Nice find. Hope you have good luck with it. My brother has a 98 with almost 200,000 miles and he lives in Michigan.
Old 07-14-2010, 20:46   #6 (permalink)

Hey Mike, Congrats on the find of the 2000 Windstar and just to let you know, I have a 98 Windstar with 220,000 miles on it that I am running 235/75/15's on stock wheels on all four corners.
Like you, the tires came at no cost so I mounted them up.
The only thing I had to do was to trim the "splash shields" on the front struts.
I drive the heck out of it and still get 20+ MPG.

Now on another subject:

I need help replacing the front wheel bearings on my 98 Windstar.
I have never worked on a front wheel drive before and want to make sure I don't mess anything up.
Limited resources necessitate me doing as much of the work myself.
I know they have to be pressed in.
So far I have removed the caliper, caliper mounting bracket, and rotor.
Forgive me if my terminology is not correct, but I also removed the large 1" "spindle" or "hub" nut.
I put a 3 jaw puller on and started to try to remove the "hub", but stopped when all I was accomplishing was pushing the halfshaft with the cv joints on it.
I know there are probably special tools involved to do this correctly, but can anybody offer any advice?
Thanks, Ozarkcountry
OzarkCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar