Windstar Tuneup Time - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar Forum for discussion of all Ford Vans and Ford Mini Vans such as the Ford Aerostar and Ford Freestar.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2004, 14:03   #1 (permalink)

Question Windstar Tuneup Time

Our 2000 Ford Windstar with 67K miles is due for a tune up. It's been a great van but its time for a major tune up. The motorcraft spark plugs cost $7.30 each. That's really pricy if it is the same plug, especially when we can get NGK Platinum spark plugs for $3.50 each. Anyone use a non-motorcraft sparkplug? We are considering the NGK iridium tipped sparkplugs because they can last 80K miles and cost $6.50 each. What other stuff should be change besides the plugs, wires and fuel filter?
cmalacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2006, 02:14   #2 (permalink)
Unregistered

cool Re: Windstar Tuneup Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalacon
Our 2000 Ford Windstar with 67K miles is due for a tune up. It's been a great van but its time for a major tune up. The motorcraft spark plugs cost $7.30 each. That's really pricy if it is the same plug, especially when we can get NGK Platinum spark plugs for $3.50 each. Anyone use a non-motorcraft sparkplug? We are considering the NGK iridium tipped sparkplugs because they can last 80K miles and cost $6.50 each. What other stuff should be change besides the plugs, wires and fuel filter?
I have put off the tuneup for to long. We have over a hundred thousand miles on our 2000 Windstar. When it quit running I decided to look at the plugs and could have kick myself if it were possible. I went to Auto zone and found out that they did not have a replacement plug. So I headed straight to NAPA and found the right plug for $1.69. They are Champions and do not have the expensive platinum on them. The problem with the
Windstar is that it has threads on the plug that cover only half the end of the plug. If you buy say a Bosch it has threads that cover the entire end.
Well I could have started looking for the expensive plugs but since it ran for over 100,000 miles on the original motorcraft, why bother. Maybe I will do that after the next 100,000 miles. Sure. Now all I have to do is put the rear plugs in. It is running with the front ones so I can now get it up on ramps so I can reach the rear plugs. I hope. I will probably do the filter also depending on cost. The wireset at napa cost $42 but they fit.
Old 03-31-2006, 23:24   #3 (permalink)

Re: Windstar Tuneup Time

If they actually match, then you should be fine. On some vehicles you do have to verify, although the Windstar has been out long enough with the 3.8L V6 that the plugs should match.

Another thing is the Windstar should have a transmission flush every 30,000 miles. If not you could risk major damage. Remember to include this in your tuneup if you haven't already had it done.
gsdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford Vans and Mini Vans | Ford Aerostar | Ford Freestar | Ford Galaxy | Ford Windstar