05 F-350 (one 6.0L down) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 14:56   #1 (permalink)

05 F-350 (one 6.0L down)

I am new to this forum, but I was wondering if any of you can provide any insight into this problem/problems. I drive a 2005 F-350 4x4 6.0 Powerstroke.
At 19,325 km, the first engine was cooked. It was replaced with a remanufactured engine that (meets specifications). I requested to see a spec sheet on this reman motor and was told that they cannot provide me with this. Is it unreasonable to assume that various parts in this remanufactured may have more than 20,000? That is what I asked Ford, no response was given. The truck was in the shop for exactly 60 days before it was ready on this occasion.
Two weeks ago, it was taken to Ford with a faulty passenger side seatbelt.
The new one has still not arrived, I should have been able to assume that replacement safety equipment would be more readily available, should I not?
Right now the truck has 62,000km and is currently at the dealership waiting on a water pump that is toast. So far this time it has been in for 5 days.
This truck has been in the shop 14% of the time that I have owned it but,
Ford customer service assured me that I am in a QUALITY vehicle, and that is the only response from them.
This is the third brand new Ford truck that I have purchased from this dealership and the other 2, a 2003 F-150 4x4 and a 2000 Ranger 4x4,
had ablsolutely no problems.
Why would Ford not want to resolve this issue and keep a repeat customer??
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 18:47   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Dan

Re: 05 F-350 (one 6.0L down)

If you had the engine replaced by Ford, and at a Ford dealer then you have had a Ford remanufactured engine installed, not a Jasper or some fly by night job. Usually when you get a factory (Ford) remanufactured engine, it is a mix of new parts and and rebuilt parts. Don't be thinking that the pistons in this reman engine have 115,000 miles on them because that is not the case. Ford will not want that engine to fail again under warranty, so it is in their best interest to put in an engine that will last. Ford will stand behind that engine for 5years or 100,000 miles. There have been many, many issues with the engine, hence part of the reason they went to the new 6.4L diesel.
USAdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 19:52   #3 (permalink)

I really hope that this engine lasts a long time. I was most concerned about reliability due to the fact that I work mostly in remote areas. I guess you take your chances with anything though. Other than the above problems, mostly of time concerns, I love this truck, but man do I wish they would stock some common parts. I use this truck mostly for work so down time can cost alot of money. Anybody can understand unforseable problems can occur, what I cannot understand is the amount of time it takes to fix them.
Old 05-03-2007, 19:53   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Dan

Well I hate to say this, but durability and reliability are not the 6.0L's strong points. Ford has done a lot to try to correct these problems, and I guess the final correction was ending production of the engine. When Ford/Navistar started developing the 6.0L, they pretty much forgot everything they knew and learned from the 7.3L and started from scratch. The new 6.4L however is very similar to the bullet-proof 7.3L, and doesn't share very many similarities with the engine it is replacing.

Next time you have the truck over to the dealer, make sure any recalls that this thing may had have been performed. Also have them update your truck with the most current PCM/ECM calibration. There are new calibrations that Ford has released to prevent premature injector failure, so please make sure that is done.
Old 05-05-2007, 00:56   #5 (permalink)

You bet, thanks for the heads up. I hope that the 6.4 pulls through, I will be buying one next year. Is it just me or does Ford quite often seem to have an early retirement for any reliable engines? Example 5.0 302, 7.3l Diesel. I know several owners of 7.3's that have 600,000+km's. I do not get it. When I questioned the trade in option, they appraised my truck at under 25,000CAD.
I was very surprised that it depreciated 30,000 in 1 1/2 years(60,000km). Wow, what an investment. If I did not own this company, I would fire myself.LOL Thank-you for your help, I appreciate it.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:29   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Dan

Ford didn't discontinue the 7.3L just for the fun of it. The 7.3L was not going to meet the new emission standards, thus they had to develop a new engine that would. The 6.4L is going to pick up where the 7.3L left off, not try to improve on the 6.0L. From what I have heard about the 6.4L is that is going to be a true stud. Unfortunately I haven't received much info on this engine yet. Our Ford factory trainer doesn't even have anything on this engine yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel