Ford Forums banner

08 5.4 or 06 6.0??

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  meagain 
#1 ·
Hey y'all. So I'm in the market for a new-to-me truck. I'm looking at two trucks at the moment: an 08 5.4 with 163xxx or a 06 6.0 with 168xxx. I've done ton of research but I can't get anything straight. I know ford supposedly fixed their 5.4 spark plug problem in 08+ but I don't know anyone who's owned one to tell me how they are.
I also have heard so much negativity about the 6.0. I know their common problems start out with oil cooler failure which will cause the chain of events to blow a head. Or i guess that's what I've heard. I also have heard they're fine stock that people just use a tuner and don't mod it any further.

So, obviously my knowledge is slim to none.

This will be my daily, I will haul horses multiple times a week- up to 9k lbs... this is what makes me consider a diesel over the 5.4, even if I can't find a 7.3.

Excuse my ignorance. :) Thanks for y'alls help.

#6 ·
TY. I can tell you what I know about this truck. Its a 2005 F-350 super duty lariat crew cab, its a 4WD, automatic and a dually. He bought it new and other than maintenance, he put it in the shop a few years ago and had something done to it that was over 3 thousand dollars. I have no idea what it was but I do remember he was mad about the price. Other than that the belt tensioner went bad and they fixed that and went ahead and replaced the water pump. It has 161k on it and has always been dependable. He worked all over the US and its always taken him where he needed to go when he didn't fly. Fuel mileage is about 12 in the few hundred miles I have put on it. That's all I can tell you about the 6.0. He was happy with it. And it pulled a Montana Big Sky 5th wheel with ease.

#10 ·
The only problem with that year 5.4 are the cam phasers but its not major. My buddy picked up an 05 I think f250 ex lawn maintanance truck with a 6.0. He did need to do something with the egr but otherwise its been a great truck and has over 200k miles on the clock. People do rag on the 6.0's but theyre not bad as long as you know what can happen to them and do a little preventative maintanance.

Now the 5.4 is a great motor but I dont think it would be a great towing motor. Yes it does have a loooong stroke which equates to good low end torque numbers but its no diesel.

Reactions: Bert
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.