1984 F-250 ignition switch - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 17:51   #1 (permalink)

confused 1984 F-250 ignition switch

I have a 1984 F-250 6.9L that has a malfunctioning ignition switch. When I start the engine and release the key just the slightest bump of the key or shift lever will kill the engine. I have to hold slight pressure on the key in the run position to keep it running.
I need to replace the ignition switch but unsure how to remove it from the column. I can remove the key tumbler by turning the key to run and pushing in the small button to remove. This does not give access the the switch itself. I have the steering wheel removed at this point.
Any how-to here?
John
trimjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 18:34   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 1984 F-250 ignition switch

The switch is located under the dash on top of the steering column. Drop down the steering column and it's a pretty easy change out.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:07   #3 (permalink)
Always the student

Relatively easy to change. The replacement will come with directions to install correctly. Follow them to the "T"
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 19:11   #4 (permalink)

Great info. Thanks for the pic.
Looks like an easy project.
John
Old 06-08-2009, 10:25   #5 (permalink)

Back to this project. Haven't had to use the truck so it's just been sitting.
I finally bought the switch but there are no installation instructions with it.
Any clues on installing the switch?
Dropping the column is no problem, just looking for the alignment of switch to key. The new switch has a small alignment wire attached so I assume this is not to be removed until switch is in place?
John
Old 06-09-2009, 11:22   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

1.Disconnect the battery ground cable.
2.Remove steering column shroud and lower the steering column.
3.Disconnect the switch wiring at the multiple plug.
4.Remove the two nuts that retain the switch to the steering column.
5.Lift the switch vertically upward to disengage the actuator rod from the switch and remove switch.
6.When installing the ignition switch, both the locking mechanism at the top of the column and the switch itself must be in LOCK position for correct adjustment.

To hold the mechanical parts of the column in LOCK position, move the shift lever into PARK (with automatic transmissions) or REVERSE (with manual transmissions), turn the key to LOCK position, and remove the key. New replacement switches, when received, are already pinned in LOCK position by a metal shipping pin inserted in a locking hole on the side of the switch.

7.Engage the actuator rod in the switch.
8.Position the switch on the column and install the retaining nuts, but do not tighten them.
9.Move the switch up and down along the column to locate the mid-position of rod lash, and then tighten the retaining nuts.
10.Remove the locking pin, connect the battery cable, and check for proper start in PARK or NEUTRAL.

Also check to make certain that the start circuit cannot be actuated in the DRIVE and REVERSE position.

11.Raise the steering column into position at instrument panel. Install steering column shroud.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 15:51   #7 (permalink)

Thanks jwko, you the man.
That's just what I wanted.

John
Old 06-09-2009, 22:18   #8 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Before changing the switch, remove the plastic column shroud & operate the key while observing the pushrod that runs along the top of the colum into the dash. It should move EXACTLY with the key. If not, then the switch isn't the problem and you don't need to replace it. Replace the ignition actuators inside the upper column housing. It's a big PITA, but much more common than a bad ig.sw.

Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:30   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Steve, I'll heed the advise and watch it closely. Yep, had to change out the ignition link on a 86 Bronco. Real PITA.
John
Old 07-28-2009, 20:15   #10 (permalink)
dang

My ignition is doing the exact same thing and I am inclined to believe that is is the actuator or actuator arm. How is it changed out?
Leobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel