Ford Forums banner

1984 f250 seeking more power

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  302lifer 
#1 ·
hello all:hy: i have been debating on what to do with my 1984 ford f250 4 speed, engine wise. i just rebuilt the 302 in it. the motor is a 1980 motor completly stock besides dual exhaust. the problem is im lookin for more power. im not lookin to make drag racing power but enough so i can do some work with it. as it is on hills on the highway im doing 55 over the top while hitting it at 75 from the bottom, on a empty truck, i would hate to have a ton on the back. i have been looking into heads however i can see a good set of heads will easily take me up to a thousand dollars. i could buy a bigger remanufactured motor for less. i guess my question being what should i do build the 302 i have now or buy a new motor. would i be better off buying a new motor if i were looking to make say 350 ft lb torque and 300 horse. or would i save money buying a reman motor say of a differnt year cause i know a 1980 ford 302 is not pushing much over 140horse if that. ????
any advice would be greatly appreciated :hy:

#3 ·
i dont think a cam and intake will take me up to around 350ft lb torque, atleast not the way it is right now its a 1980 motor and the 302 is only putting out about 215ftlb torque, they really cut the power down in these years. a cold air intake would be hard to install on a carburetor jobby to.

#5 ·
I have a 82 Chevy PU 2WD with a 305 that ran like crap. Not much take off or pulling power. A 'Comp Cams' Extreme 4x4 cam & lifter set made a world of difference on my rig. Low end torque greatly improved along with mid range.

COMP Cams CL35-235-3 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy 4x4 Cam and Lifter Kits

Extreme 4x4 performance from COMP Cams.
COMP Cams Xtreme Energy 4x4 cam and lifter kits are built to take advantage of the latest cam technology to provide maximum performance and low-end torque for your vehicle. Whether your use is off-roading or towing, there is an Xtreme 4x4 for you. By using an aggressive lobe profile, these cams provide better throttle response and more top-end horsepower than equivalent cams from other manufacturers, while delivering increased engine vacuum.

#6 ·
good deal thanks alot. ive been lookin for a good towing cam. that should give me some bottom end grunt. are any of you guys into doing head work or no anything about it. i have been reading my mechanics book and it says the 302 back in 69 was pushin 300 ftlb torque. maybe if i got a hold of a set of 69 heads that would wake it up alot? how did the power from 1969 die down to only 215 ft lb torque in 80? is it just in the heads cause the block couldnt have changed that much.

#7 ·
i have a chance to buy a set of 302 ho heads off of a 86 motor. would they bolt onto my carbureted model? the seller tells me they will bolt up i just need to block of the egr is this correct? what is the difference between ho heads and regular heads?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.