1987 F150 5.8L V8 351 4BBL CARB - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 17:02   #1 (permalink)

1987 F150 5.8L V8 351 4BBL CARB

Hey everyone hows it going??

So here is whats up.

I was givin this truck about 2 years back and it was in pretty rough shape. Had to replace the water pump about a month after getting it. Had a starter fry on me at the end of 2011. think I have gone through about 2 starter solenoids. also had trouble with vapor locking during the summertime.

Anyways about a month back I stopped to get gas. Pumped it and was back in my truck 5 mins later to start it and nothing. Had a friend come jump me and still nothing. So the next day me and my dad went back to my truck and pulled the starter solenoid and sure enough was completely dead. Replaced it and truck started right back up. Got it home and decided to do a tune up.

Sure enough the plugs, wires, rotor, and cap where from 1987 =/. (As I didnt realized this when I was swapping wires and caps that 4 and 1 where switch(must of happen with previous owner)) anyways while they were still backwards I was driving around town for a couple days just fine, yes with the new plugs and such. Then it over heated on me and didnt want to start. Honestly sounded like a bad solenoid again. Well it sat for a few hrs then I tryted starting it and it started. So I got it home and parked it. The next day I went out to check on it and noticed i was leaking gas at my carb..

Well after I started looking at my CARB more I noticed that the electric choke power wire was totally broken and the choke never worked for who knows how long. The throttle was stuck open and one of the hose connector pieces on the bottom was broken apart from the CARB itself =/ So I buy new Holley and get it connected. Test drove it and over heats on me in 30 secs.

A few people tell me my thermostat is broken. So I was looking in my Chilton book and noticed that my 4 and 1 plug was switch. Fixed that problem and truck starts up every time. Ohh almost forgot THE WHOLE TIME MY BATTERY WOULD NEVER KEEP CHARGE, I even used another battery that was tested as well and it wont keep charge either.

So right now Im stumped. I think my starter is shot and so is the wire from the starter to solenoid as a short in it. I dont get paid till next week and I can upgrade my starter to a better one with lifetime warranty for $20 more dollars, also was going to get new terminal wires as well.

Ive ruled out the alternator being bad because once started the headlights dont dim on acceleration. I can unplug the battery completely and it will still run. You think it may be bad starter and short in that wire???????? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance
GergBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 08:43   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 1987 F150 5.8L V8 351 4BBL CARB

If anything your headlamps should brighten on accleration .Would be advisable to get your alternator and starter load tested .Test battery also if still having problems .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel