1987 F150 Fuel injected - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 18:16   #1 (permalink)

1987 F150 Fuel injected

Good Day folks. I'm helping my 16 year old son work on a 87 F150 he got a really good deal on. Read Free! A friend owned it since new and parked it 3-4 years ago. The truck only has 75,000 miles on it. He was using it as a plow truck at the lake so a lot of things were let go. Front gas tank sprung a leak so it was disconnected. Truck finally quit due to a fuel problem. We think we have narrowed it down to the fuel filter. This filter has 4 lines in, 2 from each tank, and 2 lines out. One goes to the high pressure pump and the other runs up to the engine compartment, some sort of a return/overflow. Since we eliminated the front tank, we threw the filter away and installed an inline filter. We spliced the retrun line together with 50 psi gas hose.
Finally we get to my question. How in the He__ do you bleed the fuel system. I have never worked on a fuel injected system before. With a carb just keep adding a little in the throat till she primes herself, not so easy with this. I do have a fuel pressure guage, but this is more for testing running pressure. When you hit the key the pump in the tank and the high pressure pump run for a few seconds. I think this is to charge the system prior to ignition. How do I get these pumps to run continous so they can build up fuel? How do I bleed off the air in the lines? If we can get this thing running I'm going to be a real hero. I've always told my son, give anything a try, but if your really stumped asked someone who knows.Don't fumble around wasting time until you wreck something. So here's hoping someone can offer some advice on this subject. We do have a Haynes manual that my son picked up, but it's nothing like the old Chilton Manuals I used to have. Help, springs coming and my son is just dying to get this truck on the road. Thanks.
Frozentoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 18:52   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1987 F150 Fuel injected

The best way would be to turn the key to run from off a few times and that should fill the lines. Have you checked the fuel pressure? Does it have spark when cranking?
Old 02-14-2012, 14:09   #3 (permalink)

Yes we have spark. By reading a bunch of earlier posts I have figured out how to run the pumps by jumping the EEC. Will do that and check pressure and then will post back. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 20:18   #4 (permalink)

We have ignition. Used a jumper on the EEC to keep the pumps running and depressed the schrader valve until it was shooting fuel, hit the key and voila, we had ignition. Ran real nice for a motor that hadn't started in 5 years. Thanks for all the info on this site.
Old 02-27-2012, 21:06   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Sounds great. Thanks for the update.
Old 04-15-2012, 14:38   #6 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

i would be leary about the brake calipers... sitting for so long the pistons will develop bad spots and after driving some the brakes will not work right... i have had this happen on cars i have bought that sat for years and brought back to life

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel