Ford Forums banner

1987 F150 Will Not Run!

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve83 
#1 ·
Alright Here's the deal i have a 1987 f150 5.0L it will not start.... i drove into a parking lot turned off my truck went inside did my business and came back out turned the key my truck would not start just sat there turning. didn't even sound like it wanted to start. so i brought the thing back home. checked to see if my plugs had spark and they did also checked my fuel pump it is pumping fuel i know for sure that i am getting fuel all the way up to my fuel rail. i am thinking it has something to do with my injectors maybe they aren't injecting fuel. now my question is.... what could stop my fuel injectors from working? i doubt they would all go bad at the same time so i'm thinking maybe computer.... somebody give me some possibilities .... again i got spark but it doesn't sound like its firing when i try to start it the motor just turns

#2 ·
How much PRESSURE is the fuel pump making? The distributor-mounted ICM was the subject of a lengthy class-action lawsuit, so it's a likely culprit. Get a Haynes manual & a cheap digital multimeter, and follow the ignition diagnostic procedure (usually Ch.5 Sec.5 p.5-5). How many miles on the fuel filter?

Regardless of what else you find or do, I recommend swapping the EEC PWR and FP relays under the L hood hinge, as shown in this & the NEXT few pics:

#3 ·
If there's spark and good pressure at the regulator, could be the timing chain. I had a 86 F150/302 and it did the same thing. Drove to work and would not start at lunchtime. Got it back home and fuel/spark ok. Timing chain had popped. 235,000mi at the time. If yours is getting up in miles department, I'd check the chain.
Jim

#4 ·
yea i replaced those relays.... my chain is not broken and has not jumped.... i also replaced the module which is located on the distributor i still have had no luck getting this thing running... my error codes are 22 12 and 11 i will keep you guys posted until then shoot any possibilities my way. i'm desperate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.