1989 F150 4x4 EFI - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 06:57   #1 (permalink)

1989 F150 4x4 EFI

HI, i have a 1989 f150 4x4 with starting problems. I have spark, i have fuel, it wont start by its self until i squirt fuel in the intake and then it fires up okay. at idle it puffs black fuel smoke and also at revs, i would like to know where the enertia switch is located and i have noticed that the fuel pump is running all the time when you turn the key on . can someone help me with this. regards Blinky Bill.
blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 22:31   #2 (permalink)
fordmech

Re: 1989 F150 4x4 EFI

Hi Bill
I don't believe the inertia switch is your problem, when this switch is triggered it totally disables the fuel pump, so you wouldn't be able to start it at all. Your engine could have a number of problems but from your brief description (no warning lights on?) I'd be looking at injectors, fuel pressure regulator or low compression.
marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:59   #3 (permalink)

Hi, Backlash thanks for your reply, i started it today using fuel squirted into the intake and it is puffing fuel smoke (black) while idleing and when you rev it , it gets worse but it revs. I checked all the sensers and air by pass . they seem to be working alright. the motor is freshly rebiult. we are in the process of painting it. last week it was running perfect and my sun put it in the garage and the next morning it wouldnt fire up by itself. is there anyway of testing the injectors with out removing them. Regards bill
Old 07-14-2007, 11:29   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

I don't know for sure about checking the injectors, but since it is a fresh rebuild, you may want to double check timing. Also fuel pressure regulator can dump too much fuel causing it to be too rich.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 17:28   #5 (permalink)
fordmech

Hey blinky
You never mentioned this was a rebuilt before...What kind of engine are we talking about now? the original engine? 4.6L, 5.0L, etc?
Fonz is right, re-check the timing and while you are painting the engine do a compression test, sometimes rings break when they're fitted. Test for spark at each individual cylinder, if ok disconnect the injectors one at the time and see which cylinders make a difference. Sensor-wise, as far as I know, only the MAP sensor and camshaft pos. sensor will give you those symptoms you describe of blowing smoke all the time. cheers
marc
Old 07-14-2007, 17:58   #6 (permalink)

Hi, thanks guys for the info, I will try it today. the motor is a stock 5.0lt. sorry for not describing it properly,.We are painting the whole car. My sons a spraypainter he wants to do some speacial efects on it. we will have to wait and see what he does. Anyway i will try the info today and let you know the results tonight. thanks again much appreciated, Regards Bill
Old 07-16-2007, 04:54   #7 (permalink)

Hi, Backlash i started it on a squirt of fuel in intake and checked the fuel pressure in theinjector rail and it was a steady 35 psi so i am asuming it must be the injectors. i tried to order some today but the injector supplyer siad he did not have a listing for 5.0lt only for 4.9lt are they the same motor or am i getting the run around it seems strange. Regards Bill
Old 07-17-2007, 05:28   #8 (permalink)
fordmech

Hey!
Why don't you try testing the injectors before replacing them ? Anyone that has a modern injector cleaning machine will have the equipment to do a flood/leak/spray pattern tests. That way you'll be 100% sure it's the injectors and won't be throwing money down the drain.

marc
Old 07-18-2007, 05:03   #9 (permalink)

Hi marc, thanks i will do that in the next coulple of days and let you know the outcome thanks again for your time and effort , cheers Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel