Ford Forums banner

1990 F-250 Key switch install question

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  FishinTruk 
#1 ·
Hello all. I'm a newbie here with a question about my F-250. I've had more then one Ford Truks in the past. I took my steering wheel off to replace the shift actuator rod. I ground (the shift actuator) down to make it fit without taking everything off the column. Now I can't reassemble the key switch properly. Which position does the key need to be in for reinstallation? my choices are; accessory. off(locked). ignition on(first position). start (second position).
I'm searching these forums right now for an answer. Thanx for the help :hy:

#2 ·
With Key
1. Disconnect the battery ground.
2. On tilt columns, remove the upper extension shroud by unsnapping the shroud from the retaining clip at the 9 o'clock position.
3. Remove the trim shroud halves.
4. Unplug the wire connector at the key warning switch.
5. Place the shift lever in PARK and turn the key to ON .
6. Place a 1/8in. (3mm) wire pin in the hole in the casting surrounding the lock cylinder and depress the retaining pin while pulling out on the cylinder.
7. When installing the cylinder, turn the lock cylinder to the RUN position and depress the retaining pin, then insert the lock cylinder into its housing in the flange casting. Assure that the cylinder is fully seated and aligned in the interlocking washer before turning the key to the OFF position. This will allow the cylinder retaining pin to extend into the cylinder cast housing hole.
8. The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal.

Non-Functioning Cylinder or No Key Available
1. Disconnect the battery ground.
2. Remove the steering wheel.
3. Remove the turn signal lever.
4. Remove the column trim shrouds.
5. Unbolt the steering column and lower it carefully.
6. Remove the ignition switch and warning buzzer and pin the switch in the LOCK position.
7. Remove the turn signal switch.
8. Remove the snapring and T-bolt nuts that retain the flange casting to the column outer tube.
9. Remove the flange casting, upper shaft bearing, lock cylinder, ignition switch actuator and the actuator rod by pulling the entire assembly over the end of the steering column shaft.
10. Remove the lock actuator insert, the T-bolts and the automatic transmission indicator insert, or, with manual transmissions, the key release lever.

11. Upon reassembly, the following parts must be replaced with new parts:

Flange
Lock cylinder assembly
Steering column lock gear
Steering column lock bearing
Steering column upper bearing retainer
Lock actuator assembly

Assembly is a reversal of the disassembly procedure. It is best to install a new upper bearing. Check that the truck starts only in PARK and NEUTRAL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.