1990 f150 idle problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 18:12   #1 (permalink)

1990 f150 idle problems

is there supposed to be a spring on the throttle body to control idle on 1990 f150 5.0. i have recently had a lot of trouble dealing with a mechanic to put the motor back in my truck so now i am doing it myself. everything is good but it will not idle with out help. it will run at 800 rpms but not with out using the pedal. it looks as if there should be a spring along with the 2 springs on the cables.
cupwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 00:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1990 f150 idle problems

The throttle cable has a spring but that does not come off without effort.
The throttle body has a spring on one side.
The idle is not user adjustable. It is controlled by a device called an Idle Air intake Controller (IAC) mounted on the throttle body..
The computer modulates the IAC while the engine is running to keep the idle rpm around 750 +/-50.
I'm not clear just what issue you have with all of this to suggest what the problem might be.
I need to know if the motor will start and run without throttle help, does the idle go higher then fall back or will it not idle at all unless you give it throttle?
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 13:40   #3 (permalink)

it does idle (goes higher and falls back) ounce the engine is warm, but will not idle cold without using the pedal, and ounce i put the truck in gear it wants to shut off. could this be caused by the o2 sensor?
Old 08-21-2011, 13:53   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Engine coolant temperature sensor ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:09   #5 (permalink)

....Ok, this tells me the IAC is able to work as designed but may still be sticking and need cleaning.
....As said in last reply, the Temperature sesnor could be out of tolerance. The resistance can be measured both cold and hot to see if it changes from cold to hot.
Look for a resistance range cold to hot of 37000 ohms cold to less than 1 ohm at about 200 °. Be sure the plugups are all on and seated.
....Here is how cold start sequence works;
....At ignition key on 'run' the computer looks at the values of the temperature sensor and the Intake temperature sensor to set the amount of fuel and ignition timing and opens the IAC wide to increase air bypass around the throttle body plate to raise idle rpm.
....As you can see any fault in the hardware involved will cause a start/idle issue.
I would clean the IAC, and the throttle plate first, then measure the resistance of both the coolant sensor and the intake air sensor for resistance range.
....Note both the coolant and the intake air sensor should have about the same resistance value over the temperature range because they are both the same element but in a different package for obvious reasons.
....The last part of the operation is the OX sensors. The should heat up to operating temperature in about 45 second and begin to take over fuel control if they are not to lazy from age. They need to get up to 600° to begin to operate.
....I'm sure you will find the issue somewhere in this sequence.
....Use can spray cleaner on the IAC and throtle body plate/bore until it flows out nearly clean on a cloth. Wait some time for it to dry up before starting the mo.
....After you find the issue and clear it, it would be a good idea to re boot the computer and allow it to re-learn the start sequence from scratch for good starts under all conditions.
....To do this, remove the battery cable for several minutes. Reconnect. Put headlites on and start the motor. This does a cold start under high load conditions so battery charging and the lights will cold load the motor such that the computer detects this and stores in memory, those conditions. Then allow engine to heat up and drop to normal idle of about 650-700 rpm and be stable by it'self.
....Drive about 5 miles and do several restarts under hot conditions so this is stored in memory. Note the IAC and coolant sensors are key to all this for memory storage between cold and hot conditions.
....After this procedure, all your starts should be perfect without intervention if there are no other faults.
Good luck.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 15:33   #6 (permalink)

Garage

i was wondering if anyone can help me i have a 1966 ford f100 with a 352 v8 that has the original 2 barrel carb with im having some trouble with it the truck will start up just fine but after a few second's it want's to go dead unless you keep tapping the gas the only way it will run on it's on is to pull the choke almost all the way out i check the fuel pump which is mechanical and it's sending enough gas to the carb but the motor act's like it's starving for gas also if you give a steady throttle it tries to go dead anyone got any idea's of what it could be i just rebuilt the carb to day to see if that fixes it
andrew352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 15:39   #7 (permalink)

thanks logan and bluegrass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel