1990 F250 clutch problem... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 12:24   #1 (permalink)

1990 F250 clutch problem...

Hi there...just as the title says...Not sure that my entire clutch went out...just feels like the problem may be in the foot petal or the cylinder that pressurizes it...is that called the slave cylinder? if you push the petal, it EASILY goes down to the floor and if you push it just a little past where it stops, the truck will start, etc...if I have too, I'll replace the entire clutch but all of the kits I've found sell the clutch kit and slave cylinder separately so I that's my question...If I can do what I have to to get by and then later replace the entire thing, that's what I'd rather do...Thanks for any and all help/information...it's a 5.8 with 5 speed...Thanks again!

Rj
RampageMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2009, 13:58   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1990 F250 clutch problem...

What you're saying is pushing the pedal down doesn't release the clutch? Is there fluid in the master cylinder for the clutch?
Old 12-19-2009, 15:35   #3 (permalink)

Your not being very helpfull. Does the truck not start untill you push the pedal past the rug or you can't get it out of gear to start it ? There is quite a difference. Are you having trouble getting your truck in and out of gear or are you talking about the clutch
safety start inter lock ? There is quite a difference. To me sounds like your talking about clutch safety inter lock. If that is the case it has nothing to do with a worn out clutch
or slave cylinder. Do more research before throwing your money away on something that
doesn't need fixing. What is your exact problem ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 16:31   #4 (permalink)

Ok, did a little bit of messing with it and now I can be a little more specific...The master cylinder for the clutch was low on fluid so I added to it and kept pumping the clutch petal and eventually is started to get a little bit of pressure back...I had someone keep pumping the petal and the fluid level continued to go down so we kept adding to it but never did get 100% pressure back...I can push the clutch down to the floor and start the truck in neutral but cannot put it into gear...just seems weird that I never heard or felt anything wrong with the clutch and then one cold day recently I pushed the clutch in to start it and went from having pressure to the petal going clear to the floor...So yes, I have to push the petal down a little past the rug to start it and then even if I push it down that far, it won't go into gear for me....trying to be as specific as I can but this is my 1st vehicle with a clutch that I've ever had problems with...Thanks guys!

One other piece I forgot...the truck was running, clutch pushed down past the rug, when I tried to go into 1st gear or any other forward gear, the truck will try to roll forward but not actually go into the gear...Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2009, 16:49   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Sounds like you have a leak in the slave cylinder or master cylinder for the clutch. If you keep trying to bleed it, it'll probably start working, but something is losing fluid. It may leak iside the cab where the clutch shaft goes into the master cylinder, lines to, or the slave cylinder.
Old 12-19-2009, 16:52   #6 (permalink)

It's dark now and I gotta work on it outside so I'm going to wait until tomorrow and bleed it and keep working at it and investigate for my leak...Thanks for giving me some clues as of what to look for...I'll let you know what I find out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel