1993 Ford F-150 Starter Problems? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2004, 17:20   #1 (permalink)

1993 Ford F-150 Starter Problems?

Okay... here's the story...

I had the clutch replaced on my 1993 F-150... and the doofus that worked on it cracked the solenoid on my starter when he replaced it... It worked for a week, then went...

When I turned the key, I received a single click and then nothing...

So I replaced the starter and solenoid on the firewall...

When I turn the key, I receive a single click and then nothing...

I checked all the wires and contacts and everything looks great and the battery is pretty dang solid...

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance...

DaFlea
DaFlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2004, 12:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1993 Ford F-150 Starter Problems?

I recently went through starter problems with my 92.

The best way to test it... is have a friend in the cab with the key.
First, check power at the input of the starter relay on the fenderwell.
Next, hold your multimeter on the output side of the relay and have your friend turn the key for a couple of seconds, see if you get a full 12V when the key is turned.

If you have power there, get under the truck with your multimeter. Check for power on the main red large gauge cable leading to the starter. Make sure you have full 12V.
Next, put your multimeter on the remote wire (small push on connector) , have your friend turn the key for a few seconds and see if you have power.

If everything turns out well, check the solenoid on the starter itself.... My problem was that the wires that connected to that solenoid through the center rivet had broken and I had to resolder them to the push tab.

If all of this checks out, post back and we can go from there.

-Chris
GST97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 18:32   #3 (permalink)

confused Re: 1993 Ford F-150 Starter Problems?

I read this thread and was wondering what the outcome was/is?

I have a 1992 F-150 4x4 with the exact same problems. I followed the test procedures and the battery/starter/fuses/apron relay are all testing good. I have actually replace the relay and had two different people test the battery and starter. All the light work. One guy said to replace the fusible link.

Grrrrr....

I have tried to start in neutral and I have even used a different key (trying everything)

Short of just buying new cables (waaaaaay short on money these days!) and hoping, does anyone have any ideas?

I'm sorry if I have hijacked this thread, but our truck issues seem to be the same.

Can anyone please help?
Brian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 03:15   #4 (permalink)

tighten the shit out of the big red hot wire on the starter and or, pput a lock washer on it.
gdog1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 06:21   #5 (permalink)

The problems you guys are experiancing is more likely than not related to the starter activation wire on the starter solenoid. Check this wire very carefully by pulling it off, and examining the connector for corrosion, and or cracking. The easiest test to check for starting problems is to first check that you have 12V at the starter at all times on the large 4 gauge wire at the starter, if not check wire all the way back to the battery for problems. (remember never to rule out the simple like a poor connection at the battery, sounds simple, but have seen this missed hundreds of times, so just take it off the battery and clean it! it will take you 30 seconds, and can save tons of headachs!) Next have a person in the truck and turn the key to the start position and check the small activation wire on the starter to see if it is getting 12V, if not go and test the starter relay from there. Hope this helps, if not let me know.
ming15237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:45   #6 (permalink)

I am also havng the same problem I will try these ideas out and get back with results.
GLC
Gary LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:51   #7 (permalink)

I'm watching this thread, too. I have an '85 F150 and I get NO clicking. I've had the starter go before, so I'm learning how to troubleshoot if there is NO power at all - no radio, no lights in cab, etc. I hope its not in the steering column. sigh.
cryptick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 13:37   #8 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptick View Post
I'm watching this thread, too. I have an '85 F150 and I get NO clicking. I've had the starter go before, so I'm learning how to troubleshoot if there is NO power at all - no radio, no lights in cab, etc. I hope its not in the steering column. sigh.
Post your specific problem and what you have checked and we can help you from there.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:38   #9 (permalink)

I'll start a new thread, under 1986 starter problems.
cryptick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:46   #10 (permalink)

I have a 1999 Ford Expedition and had the same problem. The power cable to the starter broke at the nut. I had to rig it up so a good connection (12V) could be made. I fixed the problem for a total of $2.68. Thanks for the info above which lead to me finding the problem.
wileycb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel