Ford Forums banner

1995 F-150 spare tire

11K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ford4v429 
#1 ·
Hello all! Newcomer here - been reading a lot lately since I'm looking to buy my first Ford truck! Since I am such a newbie to Ford's, I expect that I'll be asking some dumb questions and hope you all can keep me straight!

First dumb question - I looked at a 1995 F-150 XLT with the 5.0 V8 yesterday - it has dual tanks and aftermarket dual exhaust. Problem was, the dealer told me the spare had to go in the bed of the truck because there was nowhere to mount the spare underneath. Now surely Ford didn't design a truck with dual tanks and nowhere for the spare...did they? My thought is (and I have to look more closely today when I go for a test drive) that the mount is probably still on there and that the dual exhaust was installed such that you can't install the spare anymore.

Please someone tell me Ford didn't design a truck with no place to mount a spare...

#2 ·
You are correct. The factory spare tire setup should be easily available at a salvage yard. It will fit with dual tanks as long as the rear tank is stock and not an oversize aftermarket unit. Some aftermarket recievers, however, require relocating the spare to the bed.

Dave / Believer45

#3 ·
Yes, The dual exhaust is most likely the culprit. Don't worry, you're not missing out on anything by not being able to mount the spare in its stock location. It's such a pain in the butt to get in and out anyway. You're better off having it the back of the truck.

G
#5 ·
Have you ever tried to get to the spare when you are in a foot of mud and snow. It sucks bad enough to have to change the tire let alone laying on your back messing with the tire mount. I like just grabbing it out of the back.

#6 ·
Talk about a royal pain-in-the A$$!!
The spare in my 93 F-150 (RIP) was a bear to get to. You had to be a contortionist to get the assembly down.
My new 2004 F-150 looks a LOT easier.
Eric Y

#7 ·
I second that...if you EVER have to F$#@ with that spare carrier in lousy weather(murphys law) you will do one of two things:
1) drop/clean/lubricate it several times a year, and carry coveralls behind the seat, or-
2) throw it as far as humanly possible and strap the spare in the bed.

My 93 f150 had a flat on of course one of the worst winter days, couldnt get the rusted thing down, ended up limping home on the flat, with my nice cloth seats soaked in mud/slush freezing my a$$ off...took the hacksaw to it and havent seen it since. what in the heck were they thinking...surely the newer ones are better, but as its a truck, I'll prefer to keep mine in the relatively clean/dry bed from now on thankyou.
If you decide to use the carrier-do yourself a favor and carry a can of fix-a-flat : )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.