1996 Ford F-150 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 14:15   #1 (permalink)
TKO

1996 Ford F-150

I know this is kinda vague, but i just bought this truck, and i had a few questions, and was in need of some help, there is a slight knocking noise while running, which comes and goes, and is not very loud.

The turning signals do not work, but windshield wipers work fine, what could cause this?

Where could i get those orange lights on top of the truck, like 5 orange lights on top of the cab.

lastly, The coolant temperature guage does not work, there is an aftermarket one also installed, not by me, and that does not work either.

From virginia, not a spot of rust. 160k for 1100$ happy birthday
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 14:32   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 1996 Ford F-150

Where is the knocking coming from? could be the cats? Have you checked the fuses for the turn signals? Do the hazards work? Unplug the coolant temp sensor wire and the gauge should go to hot unless the addon gauge was installed in it's place. It probably would help to have a mechanic check wiring for you.
Old 09-22-2012, 17:11   #3 (permalink)
TKO

it kinda seems to go with the idle of the truck, morso in the front of the truck in the middle is where the sound comes from, ill check the hazards in one second. The brights work when you push the winshield wiper handle away and toward you. and another question, what is the brown gunk under the radiator cap? i opened it and its like a brown, but the coolant in the resivoir is green. it was dry and not watery.
Old 09-22-2012, 17:17   #4 (permalink)
TKO

Hazards do work. on both sides. just went outside to check them out.
Old 09-22-2012, 19:25   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Check the fuses, #7 inside I think. It could also be the flasher. Hard to say what the brown is. Keep an eye on it. The noise is hard to say unles it can be heard on the truck.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:42   #6 (permalink)
TKO

i noticed the belt tensioner pulley was moving alot when in idle, and when i drive the truck while accelerating it seems to quiet down. Once i take my foot off the gas I can hear it again.
Old 09-23-2012, 15:33   #7 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Belt tensioner will probably bounce a little bit, but if the sound you're hearing is in time with it, you might fave a "sticky" spot on your pulleys. Check the belt as well as the surface condition of your pulleys. As for the lights, if Rock Auto doesn't carry them, I think LMC does.
Old 09-23-2012, 16:03   #8 (permalink)
TKO

all fuses are ok, and there is a round fuse thing on the bottom labeled turning indicator, so ill run up to autozone
Old 09-25-2012, 23:36   #9 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

Those turn signal switches/stalks failed all the time. It may be internal of the switch. If your turn signals lit up but did not blink I would suspect the flasher.

Wiggle the heck out of the switch while it is in the left or right turn position. Sometimes you can get them to work this way. If you do, replace the switch.

In extreme cases I have seen the tab that holds the wiring terminal in place in the hardshell connector break and the terminals would separate. You can easily remove the steering column trim to get to the switch and inspect the connectors. FYI- There will be two connectors. The goofy one on top is for the lights. The square one on the side is for the wipers.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18   #10 (permalink)
TKO

Went to my local junkyard, I was also told it was the switch to. Not my fuse. Went there, got a switch, replaced it, and same thing, so i went back (i bought warranty) and walked in, and got another, same thing, while i was in the yard i picked up a couple fuses. Replaced it with the OEM fuse, and it works fine.

Update on the ticking noise, my uncle thinks it is either a loose lifter or damaged one, he jumped into my engine while it was running and he heard it from the back of one of my valve covers. How hard would it be to replace a lifter? and I understand they are hydraulic lifters am i correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel