1997 F150 4.2 Need Help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 21:21   #1 (permalink)

Question 1997 F150 4.2 Need Help!

OK first off my truck has 80000miles. My problem is there is a knock somewhere at first it seems where you put oil in if I go under truck seems under there somewhere. It knock during idle and when accelerator is pressed not when driving and no gas is applied. It does this about 90% of the time other 10% doesn't knock. Any help I can get would be appreciated thanks!
Hells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 22:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1997 F150 4.2 Need Help!

hey couple questions for ya is the knock a higher pitch tap or a deep thud and dose the knock speed up with the engine? did this knock occer just all of the sudden or was there a event leading up to it
countryboy006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 13:56   #3 (permalink)

Re: 1997 F150 4.2 Need Help!

Several things can cause the knocking. Low octain gas. Not changing the motor oil and filter every 3-5 K miles.

Ford used hydraulic lifters for the engine oil circulation. When at low idle the oil pressure will drop causing a tapping sound. Inside the engine there is an oil pump, a lifter piston at the bottom, the lifter rod and a the rocker arm at the top. If my memory serves me well. Any of these can cause the knock. Engine rebuild or replacement may be your best bet if the gas is good and oil is clear.
BigWheelsRolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel