1998 F150 4.6 Check engine code - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:32   #1 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

1998 F150 4.6 Check engine code

Transmission sensor A circuit (PRNDL Input) is what the code reads. What does this mean? I can clear it drive it for hours and not trip it. As soon as I shut off and restart it trips this code immediately. I had the engine and tranny out while I replaced the engine and this is what is happening.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
joscibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 18:37   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 1998 F150 4.6 Check engine code

The transmission range sensor needs adjustment. Not sure exactly how to do it, never had to on anything new than a mid seventies, and then it was just a micro switch.
Old 03-19-2013, 18:45   #3 (permalink)

What is the code?
Do not tell or ask what it means because what you say may not be correct and would result in guessing.
From what your saying it's the DTR or TRS sensor.
Post the code so we know for sure.
Good luck.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 18:48   #4 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
The transmission range sensor needs adjustment. Not sure exactly how to do it, never had to on anything new than a mid seventies, and then it was just a micro switch.
Here it is. I was told it sounds like a neutral safety switch?

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1363744080.427137.jpg

Old 03-19-2013, 19:14   #5 (permalink)

Ok, 708 is an open in the circuit to the TRS sensor on the side of the transmission.
Check the plugup and harness for damage from the work that was done.
This sensor tells the computer what you selected so it knows how to operate the transmission electric solenoids for gear selection.
It provides the computer with a binay feedback on mutiple leads to tell it what you selected. For example in the drive position, it expects to upshift through 4 gears vs speed and throttle position. In first gear it expects to stay in that gear.
You see why it's important to know.
Doing a code cancel does not fix anything but it does make the computer go into 'full diagnostics' everytime, and will reset the code immediately when the shift lever is moved..
Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 19:41   #6 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Ok, 708 is an open in the circuit to the TRS sensor on the side of the transmission.
Check the plugup and harness for damage from the work that was done.
This sensor tells the computer what you selected so it knows how to operate the transmission electric solenoids for gear selection.
It provides the computer with a binay feedback on mutiple leads to tell it what you selected. For example in the drive position, it expects to upshift through 4 gears vs speed and throttle position. In first gear it expects to stay in that gear.
You see why it's important to know.
Doing a code cancel does not fix anything but it does make the computer go into 'full diagnostics' everytime, and will reset the code immediately when the shift lever is moved..
Good luck.
The shift lever when pulling out of park to drive does nothing acts like neutral. When you take it to second and then to drive it engages and shifts up and down flawlessly. It is only when moving column into drive that it has to go to second then back upto drive.

Old 03-19-2013, 19:52   #7 (permalink)

The code is what you work with.
It tells you of an open in the electrical circuit.
If you can't find an issue with the wiring, it may be the TRS need replacing.
It's possible the shift hardware is coming loose under the dash as well.
It moves the cable going to the TRS.
You have to check it all out.
Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 20:27   #8 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

Thanks. I think we have it figured out. Should be an easy fix now. Keep you posted.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:40   #9 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

Today I put the clip on the tranny it now pulls into drive correctly but tends to downshift hard into first gear when slowing down at a stop sign or to turn. Is the clip still out of adjustment causing this same code to be thrown?attached is the picture without the clip and a picture of the clip securing the linkage.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1365179823.885472.jpgImageUploadedByAutoGuide1365179858.336324.jpgImageUploadedByAutoGuide1365179906.285079.jpg

Old 04-05-2013, 12:37   #10 (permalink)
Jo Scibo

Found the problem!! I secured the linkage and pushed on the wiring harness and felt just the slightest snap that was allowing the tranny to shift down hard into 1st when slowing down. It no longer throws check engine light! Project complete next up sell it!! Thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel